79 kz650

More
15 Apr 2007 11:53 #130381 by PaulW
Replied by PaulW on topic 79 kz650
2 other questions real quick. The clutch slips, so replacement is needed. But my question is it requires alot of pull on the clutch lever to disengage the clutch, almost to the point where you can hear the clutch cable stretching in the perch. I have replaced the cable 3 times in the past for it breaking on the perch end, but with the new perch and handle from kawi last year it hasn't broken a cable yet, it's just really hard to pull. Could this be becaue of the worn/out of adjustment clutch?? Or do I have other problems I need to address??

Second question, I'm replacing my tach with an electronic unit, hooking up the electronics is no problem the directions are very straight forward. When I replace the tach though I'll have the cable to deal with on the motor, what can I use to fill the hole where it goes into the head??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2007 21:16 #130591 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic 79 kz650
Then again, you could always spend more and put 750 sleeves in the 650 block, then the 810 kit. Then it will still look like a stock 650.:P

Jay

• wireman
  • Visitor
15 Apr 2007 21:19 #130593 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 79 kz650
APE Jay wrote:

Then again, you could always spend more and put 750 sleeves in the 650 block, then the 810 kit. Then it will still look like a stock 650.:P

Jay

aah,the voice of the sneaky genius!:evil: :P

More
15 Apr 2007 21:24 #130596 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic 79 kz650
Jay is correct, but I simply took a die-grinder and removed the 738 c.c. casting on the 750 block. It is impossible to tell that I have an 810 tucked away under the modified 650 head. I kept the 650 sidecover badges and have brought the paint back to the factory moondust silver with striping.

To the untrained eye, the only thing that really makes the motor look non-stock is the header pipe and the velocity stacks

I like the sleeper look.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
16 Apr 2007 03:49 #130632 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 79 kz650
APE Jay wrote:

Jay

I thought that would work, but I hadn't heard of anyone doing it, it'd good to get confirmation from Jay that is does indeed work.

That makes things a lot easier as you don't have to hunt specifically for a 1980 750 cylinder block and can use any of them.

KD9JUR

More
16 Apr 2007 08:55 #130696 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 79 kz650
Clutch pull should be easy and smooth. At least every stock KZ I've ridden was (unless the cable was rusty).

More
16 Apr 2007 16:30 #130885 by PaulW
steell wrote:

APE Jay wrote:

Jay

I thought that would work, but I hadn't heard of anyone doing it, it'd good to get confirmation from Jay that is does indeed work.

That makes things a lot easier as you don't have to hunt specifically for a 1980 750 cylinder block and can use any of them.

Does it have to specifically be a 1980?? Can I go newer?? Cycle salvage here in CT has an 82 that I can pick up resonably cheap.

More
16 Apr 2007 16:32 #130886 by PaulW
loudhvx wrote:

Clutch pull should be easy and smooth. At least every stock KZ I've ridden was (unless the cable was rusty).

It almost sounds like the cable is stretching when I pull in the clutch handle. Compared to every other bike I've ever ridden, it feels "hard" to pull. I mean this is only the second kz I've owned, I had a 77 kz400 before my 650 and the clutch was so much easier to pull in. M<Y brother-in-laws 550 is "easy" compared to mine also. I've lubed the shit out of the cable and it hasn't helped. I just think it's because my clutch itself is beat.

More
16 Apr 2007 20:42 #130966 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 79 kz650
PaulW wrote:

steell wrote:

APE Jay wrote:

Jay

Does it have to specifically be a 1980?? Can I go newer?? Cycle salvage here in CT has an 82 that I can pick up resonably cheap.

If you use the cylinder block, the 1980 KZ750 is the only one I have found that has the cut outs for the early style cam chain slippers. There is a thread in the archives that includes pic of the cylinder blocks that covered this.

If you use just the sleeves, any KZ/GPz 750 should work.

KD9JUR

More
16 Apr 2007 22:47 #130999 by PaulW
steell wrote:

PaulW wrote:

steell wrote:

APE Jay wrote:

Jay

If you use the cylinder block, the 1980 KZ750 is the only one I have found that has the cut outs for the early style cam chain slippers. There is a thread in the archives that includes pic of the cylinder blocks that covered this.

If you use just the sleeves, any KZ/GPz 750 should work.

I looked in the archives, and I couldn't find the articles, but thanks for all of the advice. I'll look again, but now you guys are really making me happy about my bike. Thanks.

More
16 Apr 2007 22:57 #131005 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic 79 kz650
if he uses 750 cylinders, won't he have to bore the cases?
if so, the 750 sleeves in a 650 block sounds like a better idea.
also, won't he need a different cam chain tensioner to run 29's on a smaller cc bike?
(only asking this so i also get the info before i install my 784 kit this weekend)
it has a 750 jug assembly.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
16 Apr 2007 23:50 #131010 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 79 kz650
It could be someone used an aftermarket clutch requiring heavier springs. I went through this on my 550. I bought an aftermarket clutch and it slipped like crazy with brand new stock springs. It would grab with aftermarket springs but the pull was immense!

I called several shops (most of which were involved in some form of racing). They all said the identical thing... remove the garbage aftermarket clutch (regardless of brand) and buy Kawasaki clutch disks.

They were right. With stock disks, I could use the stock, easy-pull springs and there was no slipping at all, and it disengaged perfectly. They cost a little more but worth every penny.