homemade headers/exhaust

More
12 Apr 2007 16:34 #129402 by K-man
Replied by K-man on topic homemade headers/exhaust
The last bike I bought had on it what was obviously a homemade 4 into 1 system. I never ran it so I dont know what the performance was like but the appearance was quite frankly a discrace to all kzs everywhere and made me upset just to look at it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2007 16:59 #129411 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic homemade headers/exhaust
I have built some headers before on some race cars, mainly because we couldnt buy anything to fit and they worked pretty well, BUT, we had mandrel benders, lots of tubing, gonna need it cause you are going to trash a bunch of it, tig welders spare heads to use as jigs and a bunch of time.
one thing the TV, guys dont do is clean up the inside of the tubes, if you have rough areas then the flow changes and it will hurt preformance.

if you have a engine on a dyno, change headers, same make, to a set that is rusty on the inside and try to figure out why you lost 12hp,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
12 Apr 2007 18:36 #129454 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic homemade headers/exhaust
Hi fische,

I tried to reply to your post this am but the board timed out and I lost a hundred words, give or take a few.

Stainless steel is the material. You can buy many diameters and thicknesses. I used 1 3/8" dia., .035" wall thickness for my coolant tubes. You can even get pre bent "J" bends which you can cut to any angle you wish. Next you need a tig welder, the machine and the operator. I've been welding all my life and am passable at welding stainless tubing.

But the real issue is lacking a cornfuser with which to calculate the harmonics you will need several hundred iterations till you get it right.

Basically you've got two choices open your wallet way wide and build your own or take advantage of someone else's engineering and buy a premade system.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• wireman
  • Visitor
12 Apr 2007 21:21 #129511 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic homemade headers/exhaust
practice bending some 3/4" conduit till you come up with something that looks like what youre looking for then build it out of bigger tubing;)

More
18 Apr 2007 10:36 #131536 by fische
Replied by fische on topic homemade headers/exhaust
how important are harmonics to exhaust headers? I read somewhere that with smaller engine sizes not outrageous rpms and a lowish compression ratio, (also stock cams so far) that air velocity is much more important. I'm not really looking for the ultra in high performance, I'm more looking for cheap, or cheaper, and the experience. If i made an exhaust system that performed at least on par with stock and cost $100 less then a new 4 to 1 I'd be very happy.

I'm also considering a 4-2-1 cause i heard it would give better low and mid range power, but seeing as everything else is stock I think I'll just go with a 4-1 for ease.

BSKZ650

one thing the TV, guys dont do is clean up the inside of the tubes, if you have rough areas then the flow changes and it will hurt preformance.

how do you clean up the inside of the pipe?

More
18 Apr 2007 10:48 #131539 by fische
Also about heat transfer, thats more of an issue with material right? I figured I'd somewhat copy the 4-1 I've seen for sale new.

Also I plan on using stainless steal 'J' bends or 'U' bends, or whatever they are. I figure its gonna take a ton of tig welding but I think I might be up for the challenge. I need to find a tig machine to get a little practice on before I jump into this whole thing, its been a while since i tigged anything up.

Is tig welding aluminum harder than stainless steal? I only have experience with aluminum.

More
18 Apr 2007 11:13 #131547 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic homemade headers/exhaust
you definatly want stainless for everything until you reach the muffler, which can be aluminum as the heat is much less by then. you have the right idea, buy the u bends and cut them to the right shape. like stated, equal length pipes befor the collector is important. a 4-2-1 is supposed to have better midrange and a 4-1 better high end. I have also heard that pipes getting gradually bigger as they get farther from the engine makes more power, but i would wait till after the collector to do this so it will be easier to balance header pipes. so basically im saying make a megaphone system. you can clean up the inside of the pipes with a dremmel on short pieces, not sure how long ones are done though, maybe a snake type thing (think plumbing?) hell, since you are going through this much trouble, you might as well make an undertail to really show off:P

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

• wireman
  • Visitor
18 Apr 2007 13:44 #131596 by wireman
welding stainless is a lot easier than aluminum.if you have access to an ac/dc stick welder with reverse polarity you just need a bottle and a stinger .make sure you weld in a well ventilated area stainless steel puts out really nasty fumes when you weld it;)

More
19 Apr 2007 16:51 #131998 by fische
you could stick weld the exhaust pipe? i figured it would be to thin, just blow through or put way to much heat in the metal and cause a bunch of warping. I'll have to run down to my local welding supply shop and see what they have to say about it.

• wireman
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2007 17:05 #132002 by wireman
you use the reverse polarity setting on a dc welder.you need a tig torch and an argon bottle i believe it is,havent done it in a while.anyway you hook positive cable from welder to the end of lead coming from tig torch and hook your ground cable to the work like normal.make sense?;)

More
19 Apr 2007 18:59 #132034 by fische
ahh yes i c, i misunderstood, its been a while since i was in a welding class

More
23 Apr 2007 09:58 #133069 by zim6000
Replied by zim6000 on topic homemade headers/exhaust
well what about using cast copper to make the header?

If your furnace is set up right its not too hard to melt
that would be a sweet look