Cam End Plugs

More
11 Apr 2007 17:59 #128951 by Kingborgie
Cam End Plugs was created by Kingborgie
Hey I just received some parts from Z1 for my 81 KZ1100a and I was wondering if anyone had ever used their cam end plugs. The reason for me asking is that the ones on the bike right now are an aluminum half moon piece with a rubber bushing slipped over top where as the new replacement ones are a solid rubber piece. Has anyone used them? and what did they think of them? I am a little wary of them.

Thanks guys
Borgie

Post edited by: Kingborgie, at: 2007/04/11 21:04
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
11 Apr 2007 18:05 #128957 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Cam End Plugs
The all rubber cam plugs are OEM, the aluminum ones you had/have in there now are aftermarket goodies.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/04/11 21:06

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
11 Apr 2007 18:07 #128961 by Kingborgie
Replied by Kingborgie on topic Cam End Plugs
Right on thanks for the help man.

More
11 Apr 2007 18:09 #128962 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Cam End Plugs
They work really well my friend. I just installed new ones 2 weeks ago and I would reccomend you do the same. Your new ones should also be metal cored like my 1000, just like the originals. Plus it stopped my oil leak for good. Use rtv sealer or whatever sealer the guys may reccomend here

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
11 Apr 2007 18:23 #128973 by Kingborgie
Replied by Kingborgie on topic Cam End Plugs
ahhhhhhhh now i get it. rubber cored. thanks for pointing that out

More
12 Apr 2007 08:09 #129213 by 1973Z
Replied by 1973Z on topic Cam End Plugs
I used some from Z1 Enterprises and this is the only time anything from them was less than perfect. One of them popped out so I replaced all of them with OEM. My mechanic even used some sort of sealant. They did look a little small but he thought they would be OK. I noticed some oil on my boot at a stoplight. Plugged the opening with electrical tape and a bungie cord to get home, no harm done.

More
12 Apr 2007 08:09 #129215 by 1973Z
Replied by 1973Z on topic Cam End Plugs
I used some from Z1 Enterprises and this is the only time anything from them was less than perfect. One of them popped out so I replaced all of them with OEM. My mechanic even used some sort of sealant. They did look a little small but he thought they would be OK. I noticed some oil on my boot at a stoplight. Plugged the opening with electrical tape and a bungie cord to get home, no harm done.

More
12 Apr 2007 08:52 #129229 by kzbikeman
Replied by kzbikeman on topic Cam End Plugs
This is a thread on which I have had much thought process (read, more than two beers). I have tried OEM, after market VESRAH and finally a set from KLASMO. I have used black high temp RTV, three bond and others. I have tried it on two different heads. THEY ALL LEAKED!! Finally while reading about high temp problems on the shuttle (hey, even ole infantry grunts can read!) I read about a technician that wrapped a part in regular Teflon thread sealer. Turns out the Teflon is resistant to heat up to 500 F. Most of the other chemicals I have been using are rated to 400 F. It is not as elegant looking as I would like, but after a few hundred miles there are no more leaks. Oh, a nod to Wired George as I am a firm believer in spray sealer.

These "expirements" have all been on the bolt through later model cam end plugs. I have never had any difficulty with the early model plugs whether APE racing style or OEM.