Replace rings ? .....need advice

More
07 Apr 2007 15:47 #127464 by Mandrake
Replace rings ? .....need advice was created by Mandrake
I took the head and cylinders of my 89 KZ Police 1000 as part of my takedown and rebuilding project. The bike sat for some years so I'm going to break it down, blast and paint the frame, and reassemble adding new parts, gaskets, and paint job as I go. This is my first time taking an engine apart.

I checked compression back in the fall and the cylinders ranged from 150 - 160 which is pretty good. I put a few hundred miles on it and it ran well, though a bit sluggish. The bike has 19k. With those numbers should i go ahead and do the rings or just leave as is, what do you all think?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2007 15:56 #127470 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Replace rings ? .....need advice
check the bores if things are within spec id through it back together with your old rings just hone cylinder,might as well do a valve job and clean up head while its off;)

More
07 Apr 2007 16:04 #127472 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Replace rings ? .....need advice
You should check the clearnce between the cylinder and piston and check how much the gap is open on the rings. Plus check how your cylinders are, if hone marks or horizontal lines in the cylinders that show recent honing. Also check to see how much wear you have on the cylinders from top to bottom and no scratches. I did what you are doing now. did a whole top end gasket replacement and valve clearances redid, but didn't change the rings on my pistons. I wouldn't bother to much about them. You should of checked your compression with your camshaft out first.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
07 Apr 2007 17:55 #127511 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Replace rings ? .....need advice
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Compression sounds fine.
I've seen decent compression in bikes with 50k miles and original rings. When it smokes, you'll be taking head off to replace valve guides/seals. You can check bores then.

-Duck