valve shim check

More
06 Apr 2007 14:37 #127137 by ronjones
valve shim check was created by ronjones
Got all my shims today:), Z1's service is great. Can I just lay my cams back in, to recheck my clearances, before putting it back together? I just want to make sure all my measurments were correct and I didn't mess up the shim placement.
Thanks
RonJ

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2007 10:00 #127373 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic valve shim check
Wow, 42 views and no one has an opinion if I can get a semi accurate valve clearance measurment, by just laying the cams in place, w/o doing the full install. I'm gonna give it a try and see what kind of measuement I get. Hopefully it will be close to what I'm expecting.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• Klaus42
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2007 10:04 #127375 by Klaus42
Replied by Klaus42 on topic valve shim check
OK, you want opinion, here it is: No way can you get an *accurate* measurement of such minute tolerances without properly installing and torqueing to spec your camshafts, first.

Now, mind you, this is *merely* my utterly unfounded, inexperienced *opinion* ! ;)

More
07 Apr 2007 10:43 #127388 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic valve shim check
Klaus42 wrote:

OK, you want opinion, here it is: No way can you get an *accurate* measurement of such minute tolerances without properly installing and torqueing to spec your camshafts, first.

Now, mind you, this is *merely* my utterly unfounded, inexperienced *opinion* ! ;)

Well, Klaus...you are absolutly correct. Didn't work, the cam lobe on the opposite end kept the cam elevated. Thanks for the reply:)
Ron