new cylinder bores..

More
06 Apr 2007 06:44 #126986 by brianrae33
new cylinder bores.. was created by brianrae33
just put my new 1075 kit in and it would only fire on the 3 and 4 cylinders...turn out a coil wire was grounding to the frame...now..i had it running for about a minute or two...i'm hoping that fuel dumping into the cylinders didn't wreck my rings...fires great now but smokes alittle...although i did have too much oil in it...drained it and refilled properly...could the smoke just be residual??will be doing a compression test soon as well..

1982 kz1000ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2007 06:55 #126991 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic new cylinder bores..
you need to ride it like you stole it to break it in, then do a compression check, if you try to do it now its going to show low

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• wireman
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2007 07:41 #127003 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic new cylinder bores..
put a few hundred miles on it before worrying about compression test.do an oil change at around 500 miles since you already did it once,then again at around 3000

More
06 Apr 2007 13:30 #127115 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic new cylinder bores..
Did you oil the cylinders when putting it on? I usually do and it will smoke a little til it burns off the excess oil in the cylinder, but it will clear up. Some guys oil cylinders before sliding pistons in and some don't...both ways have their good points, but I oil mine and get smoke at first but have always cleaned out and ran fine. I wouldn't worry about it til you give it time to settle in and give the rings time to seat. I once had rings that didn't seat and trust me....you will know.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
06 Apr 2007 14:49 #127141 by Kiwiz
Replied by Kiwiz on topic new cylinder bores..
I used a little oil putting my new Wiseco into my J. I think the critical thing is the run in for the first few hundred miles. Give it heaps to allow the rings to bed in properly. My greatest problem was trying to do so without running foul of the law. Dawn runs on a major piece of steep freeway. Then an oil change.Never botherred to check compression. It goes , doesnt smoke and thats enough for me!

More
07 Apr 2007 06:26 #127292 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic new cylinder bores..
thanx all for the replies...it just seems to huff white smoke after it's been running awhile...found some carbon fouled plugs as well...think i may have a coil wiring issue...plan on doing the old wiredgeorge method in the next couple of days....haven't got to ride her yet...just started her up and let it idle alittle..hopefully the coil mod and a good rip up and down the freeway will clear things up..

1982 kz1000ltd

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2007 08:12 #127317 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic new cylinder bores..
take her out and ride it,idling will just heat her up and let cylinders wash down,need to take it out and run it hard to seat the rings;)