head on over pistons

More
05 Apr 2007 05:14 #126635 by mdavis
head on over pistons was created by mdavis
is there an easy way to put the cylinder head on over the pistons. I just replaced the rings without removing the pistons and I'm having trouble getting the head head back on over the piston. I've been using hose clamps to compress the rings but I'm still having trouble.
HELP!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
05 Apr 2007 05:25 #126637 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic head on over pistons
STOP!
If you didn't check ring end gap, do it now.
Here is link to a long discussion.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
05 Apr 2007 05:31 #126638 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic head on over pistons
If the hose clamps you're using are the type that have slots in them to "grip" the hose once fully tightened down, they won't work for compressing the rings.

For them to compress the rings enough to fit the pistons into the cylinders you'd need to snug them up pretty good, and those slots in the clamps are going to grip to those rings like there's no tomorrow, making it impossible for the rings to simply slide through them.
If you are lucky enough to be able to force the rings to slide through them, that very well could scratch/gouge the outer edges of the rings. And I'm sure I don't need to tell you what scratched up rings could possible do to the cylinders. :pinch:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
05 Apr 2007 08:45 #126677 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic head on over pistons
If you have a lot of patience you can compress the rings by hand. I've done several motorcycle/ATV engines in both single and multiple cylinders and never used a ring compressor once.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
05 Apr 2007 10:11 #126709 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic head on over pistons
I had good luck by removing the pistons, using an actual ring compressor and stuffing the pistons into the block, then lowering it onto the connecting rods and hooking them up (you'll need some pieces of wood or something to hold the block off of the case.)

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
05 Apr 2007 20:04 #126902 by Ron G
Replied by Ron G on topic head on over pistons
I put these puppies under the pistons while sliding on the block.

Ron G
Attachments:

More
05 Apr 2007 21:45 #126935 by bigbadwolf76
Replied by bigbadwolf76 on topic head on over pistons
Ron G wrote:

I put these puppies under the pistons while sliding on the block.

Brilliant! I'm going to do that next time.

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

More
06 Apr 2007 04:42 #126963 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic head on over pistons
You don't need but two of the "clothespins" that Ron uses... they explain how to make them in the 900/1000 Clymers manual. I have a couple and they are absolutely necessary for holding the rods on the two up pistons so they don't flop when putting the block on. I have seen these things carved out of aluminum as well and sold commercially but the wood ones pictured work just fine.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
06 Apr 2007 15:01 #127144 by Kiwiz
Replied by Kiwiz on topic head on over pistons
if the original champfer is still on the bore getting the pistons back in using proper ring clamps and the pistons supports as described should be just a process of rocking the block back and forth as its is pushed down. However if the cylinder has been bored at some time the champfer may have been removed making entry of the rings very difficult. if the pistons are oversize have a look at the base of each cylinder bore and see if the champfer is there. If not it can be done with a small file. This was a job I had sent out as I did not trust myself filing in side the bore.

I discovered this after fitting a big bore kit where the shop had not bothered to repalce the champfer. After six attempts to get the barrells on I concluded something wasnt right and that was the answer