Need Engine Year Info

More
04 Apr 2007 14:34 #126460 by 13thlevel
Need Engine Year Info was created by 13thlevel
The number stamped into the case on the engine is KZT00AE001879. The head is stamped 1015cc. I need to know what year the engine is so I can get parts (oil filters, air filters, etc.) for the proper year. My bike is a 1976 KZ900 with a 1000cc engine.

Also, would you recommend using synthetic 20W50 oil in this particular engine? I would probably be using Mobile 1 oil.

-Thanks, Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2007 16:06 #126480 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Need Engine Year Info
1977 KZ1000 by your number. You can use 20w50 oil, but only in warm weather. I wouldn't recommend it below maybe 40 degrees as it makes starting a real bear.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• wireman
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2007 17:29 #126497 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Need Engine Year Info
as far as i know filter shouldnt matter on year,carefull with the mobil 1 its great oil i use it in my 4 wheeled stuff but if there is any leaks in motor it will find them.50w synthetic will flow like 30w dinosaur left overs thats why it lubricates so good,but its also hard on wet clutches;)

More
04 Apr 2007 17:57 #126505 by 13thlevel
Replied by 13thlevel on topic Need Engine Year Info
Thanks for the engine year info.
The only oil leaks to speak of are around the oil pan area and around the valve cover area. Neither area seems to bad yet.
So what your saying then is you would recommend a conventional oil as opposed to a synthetic? If that's the case then I guess I would be using Castrol 20W50. I'm only going to ride during warmer weather, so the heavier weight would be fine, plus I don't have an oil cooler yet.
Thanks for the advice.
-Matt

Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2007 18:20 #126513 by wireman
yeah unless you know the history of motor and it has no leaks id say use the old bones in it,mobil 1 makes a motorcycle specific synthetic oil for wet clutches but its even pricier than regular mobil 1 and it will look like someone docked the valdez if you have any leaks anywhere!:P

More
04 Apr 2007 18:35 #126521 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Need Engine Year Info
Do you think synthetic would really leak that much worse than regular oil? I just always questioned this even though I've read it here. Has anyone actually had this happen, or is it one of those theoretical myths. Does it supposedly cause rubber to deteriorate or what? I can't see any way a paper gasket would know or care. Just wondering any personal experiences.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• wireman
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2007 19:33 #126545 by wireman
yep ive had a lot of experiance with synthetic oil.problem is the little molecule things are so much smaller thats why it flows so much easier and will work its way through very small pinholes.ask anybody whos ever tried welding pins on a crank from a motor that ran synthetic oil,it gets in places the dino oil will never go!:P