slight oil leak

More
02 Apr 2007 02:47 #125750 by Qjames
slight oil leak was created by Qjames
Hi all, I've just bought my first bike, a 1981 kawasaki z500. I took it to the mechanic for a tune up, which included an oil change.

Ive done about 40Ks since, and just noticed a small amount of oil on the cylinder casing... I put the bike on the centre stand and checked the glass oil level meter (the engine was hot), and the oil level filled the whole window.... too much oil? Could this cause the oil leak, or could it be a worn gasket? How much damage can occur from having too much oil?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2007 05:09 #125756 by JR
Replied by JR on topic slight oil leak
You could have to much oil. Best let it cool and settle and check again. Get something like a turkey baster and take some oil out - wait until it cools. Not sure how much damage could be done by overfilling - anyone ? These old bikes dont have a lot of oil pressure so I'm thinking it's unlikely that overfilling would cause a gasket to blow. Could be wrong though.

Where exactly is the leak ? Can you take a photo ? Could be a leaky gasket. I have one or two small leaks that are just not worth fixing. If the leak is at the tach cable or the cam cover then these are probably easy fixes.

Welcome to the site. Are you in Europe ? I dont think the 500 made it to this side of the pond.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
02 Apr 2007 07:17 #125781 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic slight oil leak
You don't put the bike on the center stand to check the oil, it lowers the window below where it is supposed to be. You put the bike in gear to prevent it from rolling, then you stand it up so it is perpendicular to the ground, then check it. It needs to be on both wheels, that is how it is operated.

How many miles are on the chassis? Where exactly is the oil appearing? The head might need to be retorqued, or the oil could be coming from somewhere else and migrating.

It isn't likely the leak is from oil level discrepencies.

More
02 Apr 2007 11:39 #125843 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic slight oil leak
the smaller fours do have a bit more oil pressure then the 900 and 1000's...diferent bearings on the crank and such...but if it is doubt that it did much damage...maybe fouled the plugs..

1982 kz1000ltd

More
02 Apr 2007 15:17 #125918 by JR
Replied by JR on topic slight oil leak
KaZooCruiser wrote:

You don't put the bike on the center stand to check the oil, it lowers the window below where it is supposed to be......

Looks like I've been doing it wrong for ever. I know the manual says to check oil level "With the machine on level ground..." but it is to much of a balancing act to hold the bike level and squat at the same time to look in the sight glass. Just did exactly that and tried it with both wheels on the ground and in all honesty the difference in level was not noticeable.
Oh Well. Live and learn

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
02 Apr 2007 15:23 #125922 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic slight oil leak
too much oil can cause a bubbly film in the engine where it prematurley breaks down or something likes that.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
02 Apr 2007 20:45 #126007 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic slight oil leak
Just retorgue your head bolts

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean