Help , smoke signals

More
01 Apr 2007 17:54 #125670 by HARRHAUS
Help , smoke signals was created by HARRHAUS
pulled a plug does not look good , could this be a valve , valve guide , exhaust valve stem , bike runs strong does not seem to have any power loss , would a heavier oil 20x50 help my smoking problem , i tried putting a piece of nicorette in the tank , but that didn't seem to help , any ideas ?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2007 18:22 #125678 by bigbadwolf76
Replied by bigbadwolf76 on topic Help , smoke signals
Hi. So the bike smokes when it runs? Yeah, could be worn valve guides. Haven't looked to see if these bikes use rubber seals on them, if so, could be that too, OR the piston rings are worn.

I'll also say this... unless your bike looks like a mosquito fogger when you ride, there isn't much harm in a bit of smoke in my opinion. It's not like modern engines that have pollution control crap that it will clog. You'll burn more oil and have to clean your plugs a bit more often, but that's about the worst of it. I'm just saying this because I've rebuilt engines for similar problems and regretted waiting until the problem was more than a nuisance.

Oh... maybe there are emission controls in your state though. Hadn't thought about that. :)

Cheers!

More
01 Apr 2007 18:39 #125683 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Help , smoke signals
I don't know what kind of kz you're riding (helps if you put your bike info in your signature line) but I know that my 77 650 has rubber valve seals, if those are worn and need replaced they'd sure cause your smoking problem.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE