white smoke

More
01 Apr 2007 14:27 #125598 by HARRHAUS
white smoke was created by HARRHAUS
My 80 Z1R is starting to have a little white smoke out the exhaust , can't afford to break it down yet , I need it to drive to work , my question is can I do any thing else to nurse her along for a while ? thanks G.M.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2007 20:03 #125712 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic white smoke
Smoke? All the time or when you first take off after starting it up? A few details would help some. You might have bad valve guides, bad valve stem oil seals or bad rings. Might also have a bad head gasket but that is a bit remote. I personally would check compression. If compression is good, your rings are likely OK. The problem then would most likely be in the cylinder head. You also didn't mention how many miles were on the engine so I couldn't guess if the problem would be guides or seals. Again, when you ask this sort of thing, give the info needed to help someone make a good guess... WHEN DOES THE SMOKE OCCUR and HOW MANY MILES ON THE ENGINE? And check the compession first. To check, warm bike, remove plugs and check each cylinder holding the throttle fully open. Retest after putting ONE TEASPOON of motor oil into the plug hole of each cylinder; testing it in turn. Only do one cylinder at a time because if you put oil in all of them at once, three will spit oil on you. Throttle open for the oil tests as well... let me know.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
02 Apr 2007 13:46 #125892 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic white smoke
If it sat all winter ,
even with fresh oil and filter in it ,
Try changing the oil and filter ,

It might be burning off condensation and other gunk that grew from sitting .

1974 Z1a, still 903