spitting carbs

More
31 Mar 2007 18:10 #125279 by customkzft
spitting carbs was created by customkzft
Whats up guys? long time since I've been on here asking for help but I have a problem.

I just rebuilt the motor on my kz1000p, thats new valves, guides, stem seals, pistons, rings, and ofcourse gaskets.

I got it running but it has a hard time starting cold and even when it's choked it takes a while (like some women)

When I actually get it running and ideling good the carbs sound like they are spitting, I get pops from the engine like a back fire, Now I now that mean that it's running rich.

Here is another thing, when it's running I unplug the far right wire and it runs the same, I tested the plug and wire and it's getting spark. when I pull the plug it is wet with oil and gas. none of the other plugs seem to have this proble.

Soooo.... I'm guessing that the carb might not be working properly or the coil is misfireing every once in a while??

Thanx for any info and look forward to hearing what ya'll think can help me.:sick:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2007 18:17 #125285 by FloridaBiker
Replied by FloridaBiker on topic spitting carbs
I suggest that you recheck your cam timing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
31 Mar 2007 18:37 #125298 by customkzft
Replied by customkzft on topic spitting carbs
Thanx for the responce

I have put that motor together several times and I am pretty sure how to time it, It's not very difficult. \

But I will check the timing again, The only thing that sucks is that i have to order another valve cover gasket:unsure:

More
31 Mar 2007 18:52 #125306 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic spitting carbs
Do a exhaust test with water and see which one might be cool

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
31 Mar 2007 19:16 #125314 by customkzft
Replied by customkzft on topic spitting carbs
you mean test the exhaust headers for heat?

More
01 Apr 2007 04:09 #125427 by 2bskor
Replied by 2bskor on topic spitting carbs
Yes pour water on each pipe I bet you'll get steam off of most of them and one or more will be warm and the water will run off of them. Two things worked for me the first believe it or not is just swapping the plugs between cylinder or probably not recomended but it did work is putting a hotter plug in that problem cylinder or cylinders:evil:

My carbs pop and sort of backfire also but once it is warmed up it works fine:blink: :blink:

1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter

More
01 Apr 2007 05:25 #125431 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic spitting carbs
customkzft wrote:

...rebuilt...motor...kz1000p...new valves, guides, stem seals, pistons, rings...hard time starting cold...carbs...spitting...pops...like a back fire...unplug the far right wire and it runs the same...getting spark...wet with oil and gas....

Would help knowing bike model year, type carb (Mikuni?) and location of pilot mixture screw (underneath or on side)? :)

Some possible causes: float bowl service fuel level too high; pilot mixture screw adjusted too rich; air jet or air passage not clear; choke plunger not fully closed.

Am assuming compression and valve clearances are okay on #4 cylinder, all other non-carb tuning being up to specs, and good fully charged battery. And using best cold-starting technique (new plug; clean dry combustion chamber; choke on; throttle untouched; starter button; choke closed asap). :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD