Anyone have a trick for removing baffle?

More
28 Mar 2007 07:49 #124253 by AR15Ron
I have a Kerker 4/1 and I want to get the baffle out. It's pretty dinged up and I've straightened the end of it out as best I could but the end cap does not budge the smallest amount. I have it sitting with WD40 right now trying to get it to seep in but I don't see how I'm gonna get it out. Is there some trick to this? I don't want to ruin it any worse than it already is and I can't afford another one. Unless someone has a baffle-less pipe they wanna get rid of cheap? I want to be able to put the baffle back if I don't like it too so I REALLY don't want to ruin it. I'm out of ideas right now :)

Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2007 07:55 #124257 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Anyone have a trick for removing baffle?
We used an aluminum little league bat to tap the baffle out of my Mac 4-1 the other night, but my pipe is almost new so it's not dinged up at all.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
28 Mar 2007 08:57 #124269 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Anyone have a trick for removing baffle?
Can you post a picture for the imagination-impaired?

B)

More
28 Mar 2007 16:57 #124434 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Anyone have a trick for removing baffle?
take the muffler off, stick a piece of wood in it (a piece of broom stick works well)and beat it out with a hammer
heres a rough pic I just whipped up in ms paint:P :laugh:

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2007/03/28 20:04

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2007 19:43 #124473 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Anyone have a trick for removing baffle?
pull the screw out and punch it in front of cop shop a couple times,works everytime! :P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2007/03/28 23:39

More
28 Mar 2007 20:21 #124483 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Anyone have a trick for removing baffle?
Especially if you're in Bellevue or some other small town that thinks it's the big city and all the cops roll around with a wicked chip on their shoulder ;)

I'm not sure how the Kerker baffle is set up, but my Mac was (and I stress WAS) a mechanical baffle, so we had to do permanent modifications (aka cutting off all the extra behind the outlet) to open it up, then we slapped the end cap back in to keep a little bit of back pressure to keep the engine happy. Soooooo, if the Kerker is like the Mac once you go open you can't easily go back.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
28 Mar 2007 20:38 #124488 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Anyone have a trick for removing baffle?
As wireman says, remove the small bolt on the backside (you did do that, right?)Let the wd40 work for awhile. The baffle pipe should be sticking out of the inlet side (if it has not been modified) about 6 inches. Use a piece of wood on the ground and bring the inlet side down upon the wood a few times, not too hard as the internal baffle can be damaged if too much force is used! I've had to use a hook of sorts and work (pulling) my baffle out. I finally trimmed a little bit off the circumfrence and now it fits great.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
29 Mar 2007 01:04 #124515 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Anyone have a trick for removing baffle?
This thing does not budge. I'll try again later today when I get home and try to post a pic. I'm not having any luck finding an already ruined pipe :) I'd really like to just find another one so I can leave this one alone. I like the way it sounds I just want to try it louder, think I'd probably like that better, but if I kill pipe that wouldnt really be worth it.

Ron

More
29 Mar 2007 08:37 #124598 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Anyone have a trick for removing baffle?
Welp, I got it out... It wasnt pretty :)
If there's a Mr. Kerker he was wondering why he kept wincing involuntarily. I tried to be somewhat gentle until I progressed up to a hammer with a piece of wood on the end of the pipe but I lost my patience. I grabbed my problem solver (mini-sledge) and using the flat side smacked the crap out of it. Eventually it came out. The end of the pipe was already dinged pretty bad from falling off and bouncing down the road once and it didnt look any worse when I was done that I could see :) I don't think I'm gonna bother putting the end cap all the way back in since it too is bent. I think I'll put in 1/2 way which is tight but I can get it back out, and drill a new hole. Now to clean it up and paint it I think. Someday I will have this bike running again and I can see what it sounds like LOL

Ron