Newbie probs starting bike

More
28 Mar 2007 15:23 #124404 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Newbie probs starting bike
Don't assume beacuse people are riding and old Kaw that they have never heard of JunkieXL... B)

After you have checked few things out, if the problem still persists (I had an issue similar to this once) there is a very simple modification you can do those carbs to get a little more fuel at idle. I had a few different Kaws that were plagued with cold start problems. But you need to be sure your ignition is working correctly and the carbs are clean first. Often starting problems persist in dirty carburators (jets and pilot pasages).

Spark, fuel, air-> Ignition, Carbs, Compression

When you have it running does it stutter badly when you leave a stop sign, etc.? Or does it run like a top?

Post edited by: Tyler, at: 2007/03/28 18:41

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2007 16:01 #124421 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Newbie probs starting bike
Uncertain whether this applies to your particular bike, but believe most cold engine start-up procedures call for keeping the throttle completely closed while pushing the starter button. In other words, don't even touch the throttle during the crank up procedure.

And get the choke reduced and turned off as soon as possible so the rich fuel mixture won't drown and foul out a spark plug.
:)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
13 Apr 2007 05:50 #129577 by eMusicMan
Replied by eMusicMan on topic Newbie probs starting bike
Just to follow-up with everyone, I took a vacation in Japan and upon returning I took the bike into Suter's Speed Shop (where it still is even today).

Apparently I had a host of problems, all essentially resulting from the lack of maintenance done by the prior owner(s).
* upon pulling them apart, the carbs needed to be rebuilt - in particular the float and another part (jet?) were fouled
* the cam-lifters needed to be re-shimmed. Apparently the incorrect clearance caused problems starting? (I dont fully understand this component yet)
* the old wire-caps needed replacement to increase water-resistance/proofing
* new plugs

Some other things also needed work, such as my brake fluid which turned into a gel... :\

Anyhow though not sure if anyone was curious, but looks like I had a lot of problems. According to Jim at Suter's, these kinds of items are definately the realm of an expert... so I'm glad for the help you all gave and glad I decided to take it in too!

Thanks all,
Dustin