kz650sr runs on only two cylinders

More
25 Mar 2007 00:40 #123239 by markc3wa
kz650sr runs on only two cylinders was created by markc3wa
I have a 1981 KZ650SR that I've had for a few months. It's been running fine but today it's only been running on cylinders 1 and 2. The bike starts and warms up to an idle but only those two cylinders get hot. The other two get warm only from the friction and their exhausts stay relatively cool. I appear to have spark on all four cylinders. Before I start taking things apart, starting with the carbs, I thought I'd post something here. There is one thing more I should probably mention. The guy I bought the bike from replaced the carbs. Usually, one of the carbs on a bike of this vintage has a vacuum tube coming out of it that runs to the petcock. None of the carbs on this bike has the tube and the petcock does have a corresponding connection on it. Despite this, as long as the petcock is in the RES position, the bike runs OK.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2007 14:22 #123351 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic kz650sr runs on only two cylinders
Welcome Mark.

If your getting spark on all four, then either your not getting fuel to the cylinders, or the timing is off.

Are the plugs wet when you pull them out of 3 & 4 ? If they are, we can rule out the no fuel issue.

The timing would need to be checked for all 4 cylinders. I'd expect you'd be getting some backfiring at least though.

Do make sure your plugs are not fouled and the gaps are correct.

Also a commpression check might reveal some answers.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
25 Mar 2007 14:25 #123352 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic kz650sr runs on only two cylinders
Is the vacuum port on the petcock plugged, since it's not in use? I'm not familiar with the '83 carbs, CV type I believe. Maybe they're not supposed to be a vacuum type?
Anyone?

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
31 Mar 2007 16:28 #125240 by markc3wa
Replied by markc3wa on topic kz650sr runs on only two cylinders
What I've found is that when the petcock is in the ON or RES positions, fuel isn't getting to cylinders 3 and 4. When I switch it to PRI, fuel flows freely and eventually 3 and finally 4 fire. There is some backfire while the bike is still warming up but once warm, it has full power. I believe I'll just finish up with rebuilding the set of carbs that were original to the bike and set up the fuel system the way it's supposed to be.

Thanks for all the responses!

More
31 Mar 2007 18:31 #125293 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic kz650sr runs on only two cylinders
Yes put the original carbs back on her. Sounds like a good plan.

As for the problem at hand, I think the fuel inlet tube to the 3+4 carbs is partially blocked.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
31 Mar 2007 18:50 #125304 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic kz650sr runs on only two cylinders
OKC is right. The prime allows enough pressure to push past the blockage in the carbs. There are 2 choices I would take I would keep that existing carb and take the bike on a good hard ride, along with some in the tank carb cleaner or take the carbs off and rebuild them, and replace that vacuum line that goes to the petcock. I am not familiar with the 83 CV's but I should guess they have a vacuum port on any carb on there to hook up to it.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
31 Mar 2007 20:50 #125368 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic kz650sr runs on only two cylinders
Are you starting it and trying to run it on the side stand? Sometimes my bike starves for fuel on 3&4 when on side stand, stand it up and everything clears up. Just a thought.. :cheer:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!