engine runs like crap

More
22 Mar 2007 09:58 #122529 by arswagger
engine runs like crap was created by arswagger
This sucks. I finally get the charging problem fixed and start riding my bike into work. Now when i go to get on the gas the bike stalls out and dies. I checked the air cleaner and the box was full of a fuel oil mixture that had soaked the air cleaner. I was thinking something wrong with the carb. Also the number one cylinder i don't think is firing, at least very rarely the other three pipes are hot, i have a burn to prove it. But i can hold my hand to the first one. i just changed the oil on it. not that i think that has anything to do with the problem. anyone with any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Eddy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2007 10:10 #122534 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic engine runs like crap
Check your spark plugs, you may have a fouled plug on your #1 cylinder. As for the fuel in the airbox...what type of petcock do you have? If it's a manual/gravity petcock, are you shutting your gas off when you park the bike? Have your carbs been cleaned? Are your floats sticking? I'd start with pulling the plugs and making sure that none are fouled. If you have a fouled plug next step is to look at the carbs and see why.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
22 Mar 2007 10:23 #122543 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic engine runs like crap
hmmm... if you put too much oil in it, it would probably blow out a bunch into the airbox and soak the filter, restricting the air flow, making it run rich

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
22 Mar 2007 16:54 #122642 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic engine runs like crap
Hey Ed! Can you specify what type of bike you have in a signature please?

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
23 Mar 2007 23:53 #123012 by MT 81 kz750
Replied by MT 81 kz750 on topic engine runs like crap
I just got a 81 kz750 from a guy that had it stored in his garage for about 2 years without running it. both the 1 and 2 cyclinders are not firing. I have compression and spark so I figure it's gotta be a gas problem. From everything I have read I decided to pull off the carbs and see if maybe the valves or floats in those two carbs are stuck shut some how. any suggestions would be great as it is my first bike ever. I am good with cars but bike are a new world.

More
24 Mar 2007 06:33 #123044 by 1gewehr
Replied by 1gewehr on topic engine runs like crap
If it sat for two years, my first step would be a carb rebuild. Gasoline sitting in the carbs will quickly gum up those small ports and jets.
Don't try to short-cut this. If you just get the floats unstuck and get it running, then you may have fuel-related gremlins pestering you for years. the lighter components of gasoline evaporate, leaving behind a sticky gum which eventually turns into a hard shellac. A thorough carb rebuild will help later troubleshooting by completely eliminating a potential major source of issues.

Make sure you replace any and all fuel filters when the carbs are done. If you still have issues, THEN you will need our expert and completely unbiased opinions!

BTW, Kawasaki made both twin and four cylinder 750 bikes. And different models of each, so a good description of your motorcycle in your signature helps a lot.
Enjoy!

More
25 Mar 2007 14:12 #123350 by MT 81 kz750
Replied by MT 81 kz750 on topic engine runs like crap
A carb rebuild it is. Thanks for the help. I also have tranny problems but I'll post that in a different forum.

Dan
81 kz750 four