Broken easy out removal with Alum.

More
21 Mar 2007 20:56 #122417 by 76LTD
Broken easy out removal with Alum. was created by 76LTD
OK I did it now. I broke off one of the carburetor holder mounting screws on my KZ. Of course I then broke off an easy out in the screw. I found an old post talking about using Alum to eat away the steel easy out, and presumably the steel screw. Has anyone ever tried this? It sounds too good to be true.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2007 21:01 #122419 by 1045
Replied by 1045 on topic Broken easy out removal with Alum.
Got the link to the old post????

More
21 Mar 2007 21:32 #122429 by 76LTD
Replied by 76LTD on topic Broken easy out removal with Alum.
The old post is:

Broken clutch cover screws - 2006/01/18 10:09

More
21 Mar 2007 21:55 #122435 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Broken easy out removal with Alum.
we talkin about the screw in the collar that goes over the rubber intake? You have a pic of what your talkin about?

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
22 Mar 2007 05:50 #122463 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Broken easy out removal with Alum.
1045 wrote:

Got the link to the old post????

Broken clutch cover screws

Sounds like it could work.
From the description though, the part that the screw/bolt is broken off into needs to be submerged in the stuff. Which could be a PITA if it's the cylinders, or worse yet, the crankcase. :S

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
22 Mar 2007 06:50 #122479 by 76LTD
Replied by 76LTD on topic Broken easy out removal with Alum.
I was hoping to use the method of packing alum in around the easy out and keep it moist. A band-aid might work for the moist part. I will probably experiment with the broken remains of the easy out and some aluminum befor I try this on the head.

Attachments:

More
22 Mar 2007 06:57 #122482 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Broken easy out removal with Alum.
AHHH NOW I SEE! Man that sucks... Yeah I can see how that would be a problem. I think your solution sounds like the best thing to try first. I've tried to drill into hardened steel extractors and drill bits before, doesnt work out too good. I dont know if you could find some kind of air chisel attachment small enough to try and break the extractor free but that would be dangerous to everything around it anyway. I did see something on myth busters once where he used salsa and low voltage low current DC power to eat an iron bar, it worked amazingly well on iron and he was able to concentrate it with what looked like could be reasonable accuracy. I think the theory would be found on the internet if all esle fails it might be worth a try :) No clue if it would work on steel but I reckon it would. I don't know what I would do, besides bashing my head against the wall. Good luck, let us know how you get it done.

Ron

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
22 Mar 2007 09:17 #122519 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic Broken easy out removal with Alum.
I think the process you are talking about is called galvanic corrosion. It is the chemical reaction that occurs when dissimilar metals are placed next to each other in the presence of a conductor. In your case, the alum would be the catalyst for the process. I'm thinking that you would probably end up eating away more of the head material than the broken bolt or easyout, which may not leave enough material for a helicoil thread replacement. As a repair option, consider pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop to have the broken bolt EDM (electrical discharge machining) machined out. A lot of work, and probably expensive ($100) for 1 hour of setup and 1 hour of machine time, but your options for using that carb inlet are limited. You could maybe find another head and replace the one you have. Anyone else have suggestions?

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
22 Mar 2007 12:08 #122569 by twist
Replied by twist on topic Broken easy out removal with Alum.
Wow. I feel for you, man.

I think Grantl may have the right idea about a machine
shop to save that head. I would never have the patience for galvanic corrosion, salsa or otherwise!

Hope it works out.

~twist

More
22 Mar 2007 12:08 #122570 by craigpuckett
Replied by craigpuckett on topic Broken easy out removal with Alum.
did you try heating the aluminum with a propane torch,aluminum expands more than steel.

the only other way I see you geting the easyout out is dremil/cutoff wheel.

cut the aluminum at a slant from bottom to top on both sides of the screw,remove the screw,have the piece welded back,retap and your good to go.

just my .02 B)

More
22 Mar 2007 13:06 #122589 by KawasakiJockey
Replied by KawasakiJockey on topic Broken easy out removal with Alum.
the way to get that out is to put a 4 or 6mm nut over the broken screw and extractor and then weld it from the inside of the nut. as it cools it should spin outta there. done it and it works.

More
22 Mar 2007 14:20 #122609 by jeffreygp
Replied by jeffreygp on topic Broken easy out removal with Alum.
Hello, have you tried a carbide drill bit to drill thru the hardened easy out? I've used the carbide drill bit to drill out a broken threading tap in a broken stud.