Help with exhaust pipe gaskets

• pstrbrc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
20 Mar 2007 10:10 #121936 by pstrbrc
Help with exhaust pipe gaskets was created by pstrbrc
OK, here goes. The pipes I'm using are the factory pipes off of (I think) an '82 Spectre. I'm cutting off the mufflers and putting different ones on, but the downpipes and the 4 into 2 w/crossover is factory Kaw. I've takien them apart and stripped and cleaned them, and am getting ready to paint them with VHT's "FlameProof" paint. The problem is...
When I pulled them apart I cleaned all the stuff out that goes in the joint between the #2 downpipe and the #1 pipe, and between the #3 pipe and #4 pipe, and the factory gasket stuff in the joint in the middle of the crossover pipe. (the arrows in the pic)

The only problem is, BikeBandit wants $18 apiece for these gaskets!:ohmy:
Is there a suitable cheaper solution for this?

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pstrbrc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
20 Mar 2007 12:42 #121979 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Help with exhaust pipe gaskets
I knew there was something I meant to ask:
Would enough turns of exhaust wrap to fill up this gap work? What do you guys who restore KZ's use?

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
20 Mar 2007 13:01 #121983 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Help with exhaust pipe gaskets
You could try the wrap idea, but just on a SWAG, I'd guess it'd need changed purt near every year...

Another idea would be to take the original Kaw part number and call around to various dealers and see what they'd charge for a set of the real McCoys.

As has been noted elsewhere, dealers are funny critters - some aren't interested in being helpful at all, while others are pretty cool about it.

And Kaw factory parts run the gamut from ridiculous to sublime in price. If you're looking for a set of rings, hope you've got a couple of first-born male children around somewhere to swap for 'em - but a gen-yoo-wine NOS brake pedal rubber cost me $5.95 from a dealer last year, shipped from the Kaw warehouse.

So just because a given dealer - or a parts supplier is inclined to rape you on a given part, it isn't proof positive that the right part isn't available somewhere at a sensible price - it's worth looking around a little... ;)

• pstrbrc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
20 Mar 2007 13:28 #121990 by pstrbrc
DOH!!!! (SMACK FOREHEAD SHARPLY)
When I searched Z1 for the stuff I needed for the bike, I missed the "Exhaust Muffler Connecting Gasket" completely!:blush:
Jeff sells 'em for $4.94 :) but he's out of stock.:(
I hope he gets 'em in soon.:pinch:
Deadline for the bike is April 8th.:whistle:
we'll see.

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA

More
20 Mar 2007 14:06 #121996 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Help with exhaust pipe gaskets
Bruce, I'm also looking for the same items, if I run across any I'll let you know.

Kent

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• pstrbrc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
20 Mar 2007 14:17 #122001 by pstrbrc
Just got an e-mail from Rob at Z1, they should have them in by next Wednesday. :cheer:

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA