Exhaust repair...

More
20 Mar 2007 09:00 #121913 by NightRider
Exhaust repair... was created by NightRider
Ok, so I am cheap...I really don't have the cash for a new exhaust set-up. So, I am wondering if anyone knows the best way to repair pipes. Here's my situation...The mufflers rusted and fell off last year. I believe the system is original. I fell into a sweet deal on new mufflers from eBay ($20 can't be beat). I plan on mounting them with homemade brackets. But, I have some small rust holes on the bottom of the 2 into 1 down-pipes under and near where they converge into one. I have tried JB weld putty but it only lasts for a month at best. I don't have the resources to have them welded or fixed by anyone other than me. Is there a technique or product like a high temp epoxy I can pour over the holes? How about the aftermarket repair kits for car exhaust?

Thanks a million...

Post edited by: NightRider, at: 2007/03/20 12:01
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2007 09:08 #121916 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic Exhaust repair...
Ya might give this a try......about 1/2 way down on
this page is a Word document entitled "Low cost approach to muffler repair". Uses JB Weld, sheet metal, and a couple hose clamps. Good luck!

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
20 Mar 2007 12:30 #121973 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Exhaust repair...
What is the OD on the flanges that fit up into the head? I think I have a couple of sets of head pipes (4 into 1 style) that I have no mufflers for. As far as the brackets for your muffler, don't weld... look in JC Whitney or JP Cycles at the large P clamps. These fit over the body of the muffler and then you bolt the clamp the passenger peg bracket or something. Get stainless steel clamps. The head pipes I have are for a 903/1015 so I am not sure if they will work and the flange diameter will likely be the issue. I think the spacing is fine. Also, not sure about the bend either... does anyone know?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!