POD FILTERS (this means you)

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Mar 2007 12:29 #121603 by cottoncandyninja
POD FILTERS (this means you) was created by cottoncandyninja
me and a buddy are arguing and we need some help clearing this up...

when you put pod filters on your bike, you eliminate the stock air box and most of the lines that run off of it, right? some things that run off of it are important though, such as the crankcase breather hole. what do you do for this hole since you can't plug it up? filter? reroute it somewhere else thats convenient? the chain perhaps?

im really interested since im going to be going through this conversion and id like to know what is considered the norm and the not so norm.

SOUND OFF! or dont...if youre so cool like that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2007 12:39 #121605 by jasenr
Replied by jasenr on topic POD FILTERS (this means you)
Look up this part number on bikebandit.com 4475165-001 A friend of mine put this on his XS850 and it looks great. It ias a plate that holds the filter and a hose going to the crankcase. FWIW I took one of the air hoses and used it to point at the chain from overhead.

Post edited by: jasenr, at: 2007/03/19 15:40

More
19 Mar 2007 18:57 #121726 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic POD FILTERS (this means you)
Route crankcase breather to a puke can, over your chain for a free drip of oil every now and then. I saw a bike once with it plumbed into his exhaust pipe.

More
19 Mar 2007 21:03 #121777 by wallyworld
Replied by wallyworld on topic POD FILTERS (this means you)
I plumbed mine into the exhaust,I welded a 1/4 inch tube into the baffle about 6 inches behind the collecter.about an inch extends inside,it also has an angle cut in the end [the openning facing back] The passing exhaust gas puts a vacume on the tube [like a venturi] It works like positive ventilation PCV.I was told that I would have less leaks, less buildup in the motor and the seals would live longer.seems to work fine haven't noticed any problems

More
19 Mar 2007 21:04 #121778 by wallyworld
Replied by wallyworld on topic POD FILTERS (this means you)
I plumbed mine into the exhaust,I welded a 1/4 inch tube into the baffle about 6 inches behind the collecter.about an inch extends inside,it also has an angle cut in the end [the openning facing back] The passing exhaust gas puts a vacume on the tube [like a venturi] It works like positive ventilation PCV.I was told that I would have less leaks, less buildup in the motor and the seals would live longer.seems to work fine haven't noticed any problems

More
19 Mar 2007 21:30 #121792 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic POD FILTERS (this means you)
I have a filter on mine but will be switching to a can.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
19 Mar 2007 21:33 #121794 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic POD FILTERS (this means you)
what wallyworld describes is called crankcase evacuator system, when the exhaust goes by the end of the tube it creates vacume on the end of the tube and removes excess vapors from inside the engine at lower rpms, at higher rpms (WOT) vacume becomes a pressure and works to do the same thing, for this to work properly you also need an inlet point(probably on the valve cover) with some sort of filter with a check valve(inverted pcv valve) I have run this system on V8 engines for years, it keeps sludge from building in the engine and allows more rpms, if your engine runs a PCV system this replaces it and builds manifold vacume by eliminating a vacume leak in the intake system, higher manifold vacume means better milage and mixture by increasing the speed of the air/fuel mixture

• cottoncandyninja
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Mar 2007 09:07 #121915 by cottoncandyninja
Replied by cottoncandyninja on topic POD FILTERS (this means you)
wow! i didnt know running a tube from the crankcase breather hole to the exhaust pipe could do so much! interesting...