Recommendation For Engine Cleaner

More
18 Mar 2007 08:01 #121238 by 13thlevel
Recommendation For Engine Cleaner was created by 13thlevel
I need a recommendation for a good cleaner for my engine. I was wondering if they make a aluminum brightener/degreaser or something to that effect. The engine is still in the frame, so I need something not too harsh that wouldn't harm the powdercoat or any rubber components.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2007 09:00 #121248 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Recommendation For Engine Cleaner
Something i use that is not strong is Simple Green.Spray it on let it sit, scrub it some if you like.Rinse.

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
18 Mar 2007 09:52 #121256 by andoman
Replied by andoman on topic Recommendation For Engine Cleaner
Read the label carefully! I think Simple Green (Purple Power for sure) will corrode aluminum. Its OK to use, but you must really rinse well. Look for "phosphate" on the label. Even those labeled "phosphate free" (Purple Power) can ruin aluminum if not rinsed completely off.

I like plain old diesel or kerosene to degrease. Mineral spirits works well, too. Put it in a spray bottle and spray it on and let it soak. Then rinse it away with more. Clean up with hot soapy water. (I like Dawn dishwashing liquid). These are mild to all metals, powdercoating, and most paint. Natural rubber can be softened if the petroleum products arn't cleaned off. (It would have to soak in it for a long time, though). Another bonus for mineral spirits is that it will evaporate before it could do much harm to rubber or plastic.

More
18 Mar 2007 09:52 #121257 by andoman
Replied by andoman on topic Recommendation For Engine Cleaner
sorry, double post

Post edited by: andoman, at: 2007/03/18 12:53

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
18 Mar 2007 09:54 #121260 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Recommendation For Engine Cleaner
andoman wrote:

Read the label carefully! I think Simple Green (Purple Power for sure) will corrode aluminum. Its OK to use, but you must really rinse well. Look for "phosphate" on the label...

Wow, really? I started using Simple Green last year for engine cleaning with great results. In fact, I bought a spare engine for my 400 and the sucker was probably oil/grime covered from day 1, and Simple Green (and some scrubbing) did a great job. I admit I did rinse alot... but no ill-effects yet...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
18 Mar 2007 10:44 #121272 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Recommendation For Engine Cleaner
I was going to suggest Simple Green as well, good stuff!

We used the clear industrial strength blend when I worked at Avery label years ago, and it would strip dried high-strength adhesive from a rubber coated roller in nothing flat.....strong stuff!
When we closed that location down, there were a couple of 55gal drums of this stuff left over that mysteriously ended up making their way to the garages of several folks. :whistle:
I "appropriated" some in to a couple of empty milk jugs and put them in my garage for later use.
A week later, and it had "eaten" through the seams on the jugs and leaked out onto the shelf they were on!
Odd thing is, it didn't seem to create any probs if you were to get in on your hands or painted surfaces.

Since it unfortunately all leaked out though, I never got a chance to see how well it would work on a greasy engine. :(

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
18 Mar 2007 14:02 #121312 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Recommendation For Engine Cleaner
You're a bad,bad man,Chris[shaking head}how do You sleep at night,My Friend?:huh:(pretty sure You're goin south for that,lol)

Quite a few years ago,before I pulled My bike out from "Under the tarp",after sitting for a few years...I used the "Gunk" engine degreaser,to get the bulk of the crap off.It worked pretty good,but I know it would have worked better,if the engine was warm.If I remember correctly,it did leave some residue even after a lot of rinsing,but then I used WD-40 and scotch-brite pads to get into the tighter areas,and do a way better cleanup.It looked WAY better after that.Use hot soapy water afterwards and then another rinse
From there...it's all up to You,and how picky You are.
Once You start though,You won't be able to stop,lol...it CAN become a disease!:whistle:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
18 Mar 2007 22:24 #121460 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Recommendation For Engine Cleaner
Good old Bleach White for tires works great too. We purcahse 5 gal. pails of a product from Malco called Red Thunder that does a great job. It's water based. We use it in our parts cleaner too.

More
19 Mar 2007 05:32 #121501 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic Recommendation For Engine Cleaner
I like the K&L Cycle cleaner. Heres a picture of a Honda S90 before.

Attachments:

More
19 Mar 2007 05:36 #121502 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic Recommendation For Engine Cleaner
Heres a pic of the S90 after.
One good tip for what ever cleaner you use is to use a foaming liquid hand soap container. It foams up the cleaner that you are using, making it stick and cuts down your consumption of your cleaner of choice. Using it has cut down my use of the cleaner by at least 1/2 of what I used to use.
Fish

Attachments: