Howdy! Can I pick you brains!

More
17 Mar 2007 16:06 #121121 by Brettbaker
Howdy! Can I pick you brains! was created by Brettbaker
Hello everyone. I have lurked for awhile to edjumacate myself alittle on KZ's.I have a variety of sportbikes dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. I am a fabricator and recently built a 4wheeler out of assorted Yamaha blaster pieces and bent up a frame to fit a kz1000j engine I had. I chose it because I didn't want an oil cooler or radiator as I will off road it. My question is if there ever was a kickstart available for this generation of kz? Police bike maybe? I would like to have it as backup and space is limited and a small battery would be helpful.
Thanx,
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2007 16:44 #121127 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Howdy! Can I pick you brains!
Nope, for a kickstart 1000 you have to use a pre 81 model /900/1000, 81 nad newer don't have kickstart (except for 81 KZ1000P which used the old style motor).
No J was ever equipped with a kickstart, that I am aware of anyway.

KD9JUR

More
17 Mar 2007 18:46 #121151 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Howdy! Can I pick you brains!
Brettbaker wrote:

Hello everyone. I have lurked for awhile to edjumacate myself alittle on KZ's.I have a variety of sportbikes dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. I am a fabricator and recently built a 4wheeler out of assorted Yamaha blaster pieces and bent up a frame to fit a kz1000j engine I had. I chose it because I didn't want an oil cooler or radiator as I will off road it. My question is if there ever was a kickstart available for this generation of kz? Police bike maybe? I would like to have it as backup and space is limited and a small battery would be helpful.
Thanx,
Brett

Welcome bb - Post some pics and details of that Yamasaki hybrid. Sounds like an interesting project. Though be prepared for some of our more talented photoshopers to fix any Yamaha logos.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
18 Mar 2007 03:20 #121206 by Brettbaker
Replied by Brettbaker on topic Howdy! Can I pick you brains!
Thanx guys. I will try to take some pics today.I'm just finishing it up and we all know that with projects like this 10% of the work (the details)take 75% on the time.It's down to the wiring,exhaust and body mods.All the the hybrids I've seen run a bike pipe below and that limits off road use. I am almost finished with a tri-Y header that stays above the nerfbar/footpegs and Y's up under the seat with a shortened vance and hines can. I will also have to mold an extended fuel tank cover to make the stock body fit. I bent up the new frame with the same upper tube width and angle to fit stock body but had to make it 3" longer and 4" taller to fit engine so there is a gap between the tank and the handle bars. The front suspension is from the blaster and I machined a longer steering column.The back of the swing arm is blaster but I extended it a few inches and machined a new pivot tube using 1" chromed shafting and 3 needle roller bearings and thrust bearing on both sides.I used a Carrera coil over shock off of one of my old race cars on the rear as I have a multitude of spring rates to chose from. I also installed a hydraulic rear brake using a Wilwood caliper, also from the race car.
Thanx again,
Brett

More
18 Mar 2007 12:45 #121293 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Howdy! Can I pick you brains!
Welcome to KZR. Please post some pix, that thing sounds FUN.:woohoo:
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
18 Mar 2007 13:30 #121304 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Howdy! Can I pick you brains!
Welcome to KZR,Brett.
Ya man...some pics of that project for sure!

And don't listen to Collin...Nobody here is going to pick on a Yamaha....:whistle: ...

(seriously though...pretty sure We'd ALL like to see some pics)B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1