Clutch discs warped?

More
16 Mar 2007 18:38 #120853 by bkitchen
Clutch discs warped? was created by bkitchen
I can't get my clutch to adjust no matter what I do on my 76 KZ900. I just got a new cable and went through the procedure very thoroughly...twice. I have adjusted these before so I am not new to this. The clutch adjustment screw that you should start off by turning in until hard to turn and then back out half a turn...will not get me anywhere close. I have to turn the screw in another 2-3 turns to get it to where it will disengage the clutch with the lever. And this makes the lever VERY hard to pull in. Is it possible I have some warped clutch plates? Like I said I just repaced the cable and rechecked the routing and also put in a new set of springs. I alos tried with the old springs back in. I got this bike in non-running condition so I'm not sure what has been done to the clutch. Now I have the bike running good but have this problem. What other problems could be within the clutch? Is it possible the clutch release mechanism is worn and not pushing the rod in far enough? How far as it rotates should it go in? It seems to move in about 1/8" right now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
16 Mar 2007 21:20 #120914 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Clutch discs warped?
I'm sure you've already checked this, but just in case you didn't, is the steel ball (ref# 10 in pic below) still there AND in place on the end of the clutch spring pusher (ref# 23)?

It's not uncommon for that little steel ball to fall out and play Houdini while doing a clutch plate and/or clutch pushrod replacement.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
16 Mar 2007 21:42 #120923 by bkitchen
Replied by bkitchen on topic Clutch discs warped?
yep it is still there.

More
17 Mar 2007 06:21 #120965 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Clutch discs warped?
On one of my 750 twins, the bearing (number 13 in the pic above) was totally shot, causing the same problem.

KD9JUR