valve clearance

More
15 Mar 2007 09:03 #120378 by davedottnet
valve clearance was created by davedottnet
I've got a 78 KZ 650 that I finally got running, but its not running well. For starters I think the timing is off, and my carb boots aren't sealing well, as I can see a puff of smoke come out the seal between the carb boot and engine when it backfires and dies (as its done a few times). I figured I would check valve clearance, too. I found that I have very little valve clearance on all valves, or at least less than the .15mm gap called for in the repair manual I am learning from. The way the manual makes it sound, normal wear is to have more than a .15mm gap. Should I not worry about it because it is less than what is specified? Or do I need to take out the shims and get smaller ones?

I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

--Dave
New London, Wisconsin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2007 09:37 #120390 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic valve clearance
Dave,

Find our Filebase (it's under the "KZ Information" tab at the top of this page) and enter the word "valve" in the search box. When the hits come up there are 3-4 articles just about the 650 valves and how to shim them. Your clearance should be .08mm to .18mm. Get as close to .18mm as you can. As valves in an overhead cam engine will see the clearance get smaller as it wears, you will need to use smaller sized shims to open up the clearance. As you measure your clearance and then measure the shims when you remove them, you may be able to swap shims between cylinders to get what you need. You may wind up buying or swapping fewer shims than you think. My local Kaw dealer has great guys in the Service dept. and they swap my shims for free.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
15 Mar 2007 09:41 #120392 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic valve clearance
sounds like a minor valve adj is needed, I would also update the ignition system also, get shed of the points, it made a whole new bike out of mine, if the carb boots are not craked too bad, a small amount of silcone between the head and the boot will seal them

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob