Wrong exhaust on bike?

More
14 Mar 2007 22:35 #120299 by pilotx253
Wrong exhaust on bike? was created by pilotx253
77 kz1000 ltd with aftermarket 4 into 2 pipes. I am pretty sure they are aftermarket and they are fairly generic, couldn't find any brand name stamped on them. They use a crossover pipe and from some reading on this forum I am pretty sure this wasn't stock. Will my bike run poorly with the crossover pipe setup? I know the early 80 model ltds used crossover pipes.

1977 KZ1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
15 Mar 2007 05:02 #120316 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Wrong exhaust on bike?
I don't know about anyone else, but I think the only reason cross-over pipes were used was so there was extra support for the exhaust, and it makes changing the oil and filter easier without removing the whole exhaust system. For anyone that is running the stock exhaust, look at the small holes the exhaust gasses come out of at the end of the mufflers. The exhaust is funneled down from the 4 headers to two small outlet holes. Just my opinion.

Pictures? I bet someone could identify them. Aftermarket systems usualy have a stamp on the rear mounting bracket, or a plate on the inside near the rear mounting bracket.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
15 Mar 2007 05:36 #120322 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Wrong exhaust on bike?
I can't explain the physics but a crossover pipe is used to even out the exhaust pulses between sides and it also boosts bottom end power a little bit without giving up top end. Had them right behind the headers on my muscle cars

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
15 Mar 2007 06:01 #120328 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Wrong exhaust on bike?
pilotx253 wrote:

77 kz1000 ltd with aftermarket 4 into 2 pipes. I am pretty sure they are aftermarket and they are fairly generic, couldn't find any brand name stamped on them. They use a crossover pipe and from some reading on this forum I am pretty sure this wasn't stock. Will my bike run poorly with the crossover pipe setup? I know the early 80 model ltds used crossover pipes.

Actually what you are describing sounds like the stock pipes which were made for Kawasaki by Jardine.

Edit: Whoops just looked at the stock pipes on the Kaw website and it does not show any crossover pipe:blush: I guess I was thinking of the pipes on my G1 which does have crossover.

Post edited by: The Gringo, at: 2007/03/15 09:09

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2007 06:09 #120331 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Wrong exhaust on bike?
The Gringo wrote:

pilotx253 wrote:

Actually what you are describing sounds like the stock pipes which were made for Kawasaki by Jardine.

A pic would certainly help, but I was thinking the same as El Gringo... ;)

Who went on to say:

Edit: Whoops just looked at the stock pipes on the Kaw website and it does not show any crossover pipe:blush: I guess I was thinking of the pipes on my G1 which does have crossover.

Just did the same myself. Yep, no crossover.

Question - do your pipe/crossover junctions look anything like this:

'78 Cop exhaust.

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2007/03/15 09:44
Attachments:

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2007 06:55 #120344 by Pterosaur
Bluemeanie wrote:

I can't explain the physics but a crossover pipe is used to even out the exhaust pulses between sides and it also boosts bottom end power a little bit without giving up top end. Had them right behind the headers on my muscle cars

From a previous thread about those horrid Fleabay "X" pipes...

JMKZHI wrote:

Well, Kawasaki does use a crossover pipe on the stock KZ exhaust, and some of the newer exhaust systems have crossover connectors higher up on the header pipes closer to the engine exhaust ports. The stock ones I've seen have the connectors between the 1-4 & 2-3 header pipes; muzzy sells a set for a ZR7 that has the connectors between 1-2 & 3-4.

Triumph twins had 'em back in the 60's.

Whether a crossover is useful or not is dependent on the size of the exhaust and distance from the engine the crossover pipe is located. A crossover is not required if the exhaust is "tuned" to the engine.

A tuned system doesn't need a crossover pipe because the length and diameter of the exhaust is specifically designed to work with the engine at a specified RPM Range to avoid "reversion" and scavenging.

In some instances, a crossover pipe will decrease backpressure and allow for a higher flow. If a crossover pipe is too close to the engine, it allows the pulse timing of the opposing cylinders exhaust cycles to crash into each other – the pressure from a right cylinder will still be present in the left pipe when the left cylinder opens to vent. Too far a placement can create "pulse vacuum" - diminished pressure on the opposing cylinder and a decrease in torque - called scavenging.

A well designed and placed crossover will allow a balance of pressures across the system and increase torque at lower RPM.

Another reason crossovers got popular is because they absorb pulse energy, they tend to make a mellow-er sound sound than unbalanced pipes.

More
19 Mar 2007 09:48 #121562 by paulie
Replied by paulie on topic Wrong exhaust on bike?
pterosaur, trying to visualize this(perhaps poorly), but wouldnt that crosspipe (everything inbetween the two #14 parts in the diagram) interfere with the oil filter cover? would you have to take that crosspipe off every oil change to get at the filter?

oil change is a snap on my bike, but just curious i guess :whistle:

Post edited by: paulie, at: 2007/03/19 12:49

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
19 Mar 2007 10:11 #121571 by Pterosaur
paulie wrote:

pterosaur, trying to visualize this(perhaps poorly), but wouldnt that crosspipe (everything inbetween the two #14 parts in the diagram) interfere with the oil filter cover? would you have to take that crosspipe off every oil change to get at the filter?

oil change is a snap on my bike, but just curious i guess :whistle:

Nope.

The crossover pipe is comfortably behind the cover plate for the filter, and width-wise, the plate will drop between the pipes with a little jiggle.

No problem at all. ;)

More
19 Mar 2007 10:18 - 21 Feb 2013 11:01 #121575 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 11:01 by H1Vindicator.

More
19 Mar 2007 10:20 #121577 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Wrong exhaust on bike?
Wish I could say the same about my cross-sewer pipe. Thing is ALMOST far enough back to get everything out.

Have to drop out the bolt, then slide the cover forward a little (not easy with hot oil). The bolt hangs up in the filter grommets.

I hate oil changes on this bike.

More
19 Mar 2007 11:06 #121584 by paulie
Replied by paulie on topic Wrong exhaust on bike?
yea i guess "a snap" might be a bit of an overstatement, as i do have to do a bit of finagling to get the thing out. but i guess i just got decent at getting bolt/cover off after the first few changes. i recall being completely confounded the first time.

good stuff as always guys, thanks!