Repacking Mac Mufflers

More
12 Mar 2007 13:36 #119548 by Sixgun
Repacking Mac Mufflers was created by Sixgun
I'm considering packing my Mac mufflers.
I've read Mac's site and they don't recommend doing this, but my bikes just a tad on the noisy side. Has anyone every tried packing the Mac 2 to 2 system. I haven't opened them up to see what the inside baffling looks like, but was hoping that some fiberglass would help me not wake the neighbors. Before I start tearing in, I was wanting to get some insight from those wiser than me. I could always go with some Dunstall's from JC Whitney, but I'm trying the cheap way out first.

Thanks!

78 KZ750 B3
81 XS650SH
80 XS650G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
12 Mar 2007 14:00 #119556 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic Repacking Mac Mufflers
You can use packing from a dirt bike expantion chamber , it looks like Fiber mat you can get it from a bike store , Just wrap it around the baffle then install it , About 7.00 or so a a bag ,Wide mouth Dunstall replicas use a fiber glass packing But not the reverse cone style they have a screen style baffle ,, :) :)

More
12 Mar 2007 17:30 #119599 by securitygeek
Replied by securitygeek on topic Repacking Mac Mufflers
The MAC 2 into 2 that Ihave on my 750 twin never had baffling or packing. It is from the head pipe into the muffler, into a internal pipe about 15 inches long,then from the far end into the muffler is another pipe about 15 inches long. They overlap each other, with no packing. I'd include a picture, but I'm on my BlackBerry, so it would be tough. Hopefully you got the idea, and it should be evident why it is louder than you'd like (me too).

More
12 Mar 2007 18:14 #119614 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Repacking Mac Mufflers
packing mufflers or any type of muffler is against my religion.

everything i own doesnt have a muffler, loud pipes save lives people!

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

• wireman
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2007 18:25 #119626 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Repacking Mac Mufflers
all this time i thought it was common sense that saves lives!:blink:

More
12 Mar 2007 18:40 #119632 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Repacking Mac Mufflers
its a mix of both:P

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
12 Mar 2007 19:03 #119640 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Repacking Mac Mufflers
when an oncoming car pulls out in front of you your supposed to JUMP the bike over it.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2007 19:14 #119650 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Repacking Mac Mufflers
themachine wrote:

when an oncoming car pulls out in front of you your supposed to JUMP the bike over it.

Didn't Yogi Berra say that?
Attachments:

More
13 Mar 2007 05:23 #119716 by Sixgun
Replied by Sixgun on topic Repacking Mac Mufflers
Thanks for all the advice gang. I do need to quiet it down a bit. I don't want to give anyone more reason nag about my machine. After what you've told me securitygeek, I'm not sure if the repack will help very much. For $7 I'll give it a try though.

As for jumping over cars...I'll leave that to Evil Kenivel, or Fonzy.

:P

78 KZ750 B3
81 XS650SH
80 XS650G

More
13 Mar 2007 11:45 #119825 by securitygeek
Replied by securitygeek on topic Repacking Mac Mufflers
here is a pic illustrating what I mentioned earlier. I have tried to quiet it by placing fiberglass insulation around the inside and wrapping it with wire. It worked for a brief time, but just got blown out the end. I'm sure that with the right material and method it would work well. While the packing was in place, it was much quieter, but not long lasting. Any suggestions appreciated. ( I thought about drilling holes across the pipes inside to help relieve pressure, but have not gone through the effort yet )

Post edited by: securitygeek, at: 2007/03/13 14:54
Attachments:

More
13 Mar 2007 22:52 #120043 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Repacking Mac Mufflers
Yeah, like Securitygeek said, most of it will get blown out tail pipe. It's a flow-through design, and as you probably found out, makes quite a rattling racket.

Fiberglass packing is more for Kerker type designs which use a perforated pipe around which the packing is wrapped. The packing doesn't get blown out because it's not in the flow-through path.

I don't think it would be too hard to make a Kerker type baffle fit in the Mac. As a matter of fact, I made some mufflers for a Honda 350 and it got me interested. My next experiment is to make an old aluminum fire extinguisher into a cheap Kerker copy. :)