Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

a few ?'s 05 Dec 2005 17:28 #11930

• 2tall2ride
  • 2tall2ride's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just got my new (to me) 1984 1100 LTD. I'm addicted to this site already and am sure that it will be cutting into my studying for finals. I love learning about anything mechanical and hope that someday ill be able to answer questions as well as some of you guys are able to.

first, in regards to the clutch lever adjustment. the clutch doesnt start grabbing until i've almost completely let off the lever and almost seems that the clutch hasnt fully engaged by the time its completely out. is it just a matter of preference as to where the clutch should engage or should it start as late as possible?

second, i'd like to clean some of the gunk out from between the engine fins and since ive never owned an air-cooled bike before is there anything specifically that i should/shouldn't use?

finally, I'm a bit taller than the average person (6'7") and since i would like to take the bike on some touring excursions, i was wondering if there is anybody who knows or a highway peg setup or anything that could work for somebody of my stature. it would probably have to be something mounted in front of the crash bar to be any more comfortable for me than the standard riding position. thanks for any help you can give.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

a few ?'s 05 Dec 2005 19:22 #11937

• Murphyau
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
My $0.02 worth

1) Sounds like the clutch release mechanism and cable needs to be adjusted. The clutch should start to engage / grab when the lever is about 25mm / 1 in from from handle bar. Do you have an Owners Manual or Service Manual for your KZ1000 ?? If so, the adjustment procedure is covered there.

2) I use WD-40 as an engine degreaser. Its cheap and effective on normal oil/grease gunk. Spray it on, hose it off with a garden hose. Depending on how thick the gunk is, and how "baked on" it is, you may need to repeat the process a few times. Warning ~ try and keep the water away from the electrical wiring and connectors under the tank. Also keep the water away from the spark plug caps.

3) Cant help much with the highway pegs but there must be a 1000 different types out there. Have a look at www.denniskirk.com for some ideas, especially in the Cruiser & H-D sections

Good luck with your KZ but dont put it before your studies. It will still be there long after the exams.

Post edited by: Murphyau, at: 2005/12/05 22:29

a few ?'s 05 Dec 2005 19:28 #11938

• tweakin_82
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
As far as getting thr gunk off of the engine, try Simple Green. You can pick it up almost anywhere. my only word of caution with the stuff is that you don't want it on any painted surfaces, it's pretty potent. to take it off i usually you a small wire brush or some coarse steal wool. then just wash the rest away with water.

a few ?'s 05 Dec 2005 20:22 #11944

• 900cows
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Should have die-electrical grease under spark plug wire boots. all electrial connections should have the same. Like he said wd,leave engine running,steam, heat!!!!

• Page: