Clutch Identification.

More
10 Mar 2007 17:43 #119077 by Sefu
Clutch Identification. was created by Sefu
I'm having problems with my clutch. On a 76 KZ900 built. After driving for about 2 miles it is hard to find neutral and wants to pull forward. Let it get real warm and no matter how hard I pull in the clutch it will not dis-engage and I have to brake to keep it in one spot until it kills the engine.

Now for my problems I'm not very familiar with Kaw clutches and when taking the cover off of this one it is enscribed "Fink Racing". Oh forgot this bike was a drag bike and has a air shifter on it that is not being used anymore. I'm trying to make it streetable again. When taking apart the clutch springs some of them were upside down. Which way is correct tight end up or down. Also how many steel and pressure plates should be in this clutch basket. Could that be what is making it tight. When it's cold it works oK, stiff but it works, let it get warm after just a few blocks and it will not dis-engage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2007 18:03 #119081 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Clutch Identification.
i dont have one in front of me but im thinking 8 friction plates and 7 steel plates on a stock clutch anyway.some aftermarket clutches use thinner plates so you can fit more of them in there thats where the extra holding power comes from.as long as youve got it out check your plates for wear , measure your springs to see if they are in spec.some dragracers use heavy springs with their clutches which could be part of your problem pulling the clutch in.

More
10 Mar 2007 19:11 #119094 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Clutch Identification.
Sefu;
Perry Fink used to be there in your town. Haven't heard of him in decades.

Just replace the entire clutch with one of these and you will have no more problems.
kzzone.com/clutches.html

More
10 Mar 2007 19:20 #119096 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Clutch Identification.
only if you have weak hands. I have an APE kit in my 650 and its great;)
you probably just need to adjust the cable to get yours to work though

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH