crankcase breather

More
05 Dec 2005 09:11 #11869 by Bugg
crankcase breather was created by Bugg
when you remove you airbox, what do most of you use for the breather vent, do you, leave the hose on? just leave the vent open, or use a breather filter from an auto shop?? ooh like maybe one of those snazzy ones from the import aisle in pep boys! :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2005 09:20 #11873 by JR
Replied by JR on topic crankcase breather
Do you mean for crankcase vent ?
If so the I use a little K&N crankcase breather like in the pic www.knpowersports.com/motorcycle_atv.htm about halfway down.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
05 Dec 2005 09:35 #11876 by Bugg
Replied by Bugg on topic crankcase breather
thanks, didn't know k&n made em

More
05 Dec 2005 12:01 #11892 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic crankcase breather
I run a hose from the breather over the swingarm. I feel a filter is sort of useless except for keeping bugs from crawling up and nesting. Never had it happen so the hose works for me... You CAN use one of the pretty anodized crank breathers from Pepboys if you like the look... they work as well as any other...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
26 Jan 2006 17:39 #20002 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic crankcase breather
I've seen it routed into the exhaust pipe to be burned or hung over the drive chain for an occassional free drop of oil.

More
26 Jan 2006 21:30 #20040 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic crankcase breather
If you want to help prevent blowing oil out, push a coil spring about an inch long into the hose. The oil mist will drop out of suspension, collect on the spring and drain back into the engine.
I run mine under the seat and exit beside the taillight, haven't bothered with a filter.

More
26 Jan 2006 21:33 #20041 by Old-Skul
Replied by Old-Skul on topic crankcase breather
I also run my mine under the seat and have a K&N filter sitting at the tailight. Even with an S curve in the hose (like a sink trap) I get oil pissing all down my fender after running at high rpms 7000+ for over an extended period.

I'll try that spring trick! anything to help keep the oil in the engine!

More
27 Jan 2006 05:52 #20064 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic crankcase breather
Old-Skul - If you have oil coming out the hose, that is called "blow-by" and you have ring problems at a minimum and possibly need new pistons and rings.

You have to be careful with this hose if you have blow-by... If you route it UP or put some loops/bends in the hose, the pressure from the crankcase may be insufficient to blow the oil out and you will blow the engine up if there is no release for the pressure.

There should be no blow-by or very little if the bike's top end is healthy.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Jan 2006 17:30 #20132 by Old-Skul
Replied by Old-Skul on topic crankcase breather
The pistons are definetely leaking now. A top end rebuild is in order. And will get started in the next few weeks. It's a pretty hot motor and I've been suprised it's lasted that long.
But it has always had some oil coming out of that hose, even when fresh. In the last months of summer this year it got lots work, but I kept riding the bike one more time, until late November. New pistons and rings are probably in order.