Exhaust gasket orientation

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
09 Mar 2007 10:28 #118672 by mountain
Exhaust gasket orientation was created by mountain
Does it matter which way the copper exhast gastket faces since there is a seam on one side. I'm thinking seam towards exhaust port to sort of "Catch" the pressure and expand tighter, but I'm a begginer. Maybe it dosn't matter. A bit of advice?

1977 KZ 650 B1, I own two of them. Working on one custom rebuild, one daily rider. Used to have a third. Two 1978 KZ 650 C2 models, sold both. KZ owner since 1987.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 10:33 #118674 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Exhaust gasket orientation
yeah thats the way i do it,and yes i spray copper coat on them before intalling them.a rubber band works good for holding the split collars together while installing your pipes and will burn off really easy once the exhaust warms up;)

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
09 Mar 2007 11:11 #118682 by mountain
Replied by mountain on topic Exhaust gasket orientation
Excellent, Wireman you funky monkey. I'll take your advice. What is spray on copper coat, available at an auto parts store?

1977 KZ 650 B1, I own two of them. Working on one custom rebuild, one daily rider. Used to have a third. Two 1978 KZ 650 C2 models, sold both. KZ owner since 1987.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 11:29 #118690 by wireman
yep,the stuff i use is made by permatex i think;)

More
09 Mar 2007 20:49 #118840 by AK 81 CSR
Replied by AK 81 CSR on topic Exhaust gasket orientation
Wireman, I just got done installing new exhaust headers on my KZ1000 CSR and I think I put the new crush gaskets in the opposite way you suggest. Haven't fired it up yet, how much of a differnce do you think it's going to make? Should I order some new ones. Since it's 10 degrees outside it will probably be a while before I can test it out. Sorry to hijack this thread. Thanks

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 20:59 #118843 by wireman
the only thing that scares me about the way you installed them is if the header tube doesnt hit exactly right it might somehow uncrimp the crushwasher and not seal right,it probably wont be a problem but thats the reason i always put them the other way anyway;)

More
09 Mar 2007 21:03 #118845 by AK 81 CSR
Wow that was fast. Please diregard my PM. I guess I'll what untill it warms up a bit before I roll it out side to fire it up and see if I have any leaks. We're having a heck of a cold snap up here in Alaska and riding weather seems months away. Thanks for the advice.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 21:13 #118850 by wireman
alaska?:blink: :unsure: :S :dry: :huh: ya mean cruising ram isnt alone up there?:P

More
09 Mar 2007 21:38 #118853 by AK 81 CSR
Heck no! There's more then one Kawicrusier in the last frontier. As a matter of fact when we get back to being the Land of the Midnite Sun there's no finer place to ride.:) :)

More
09 Mar 2007 21:42 #118854 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Exhaust gasket orientation
I just put my crush gaskets in any old way. The bike sounds good too

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
09 Mar 2007 21:50 #118859 by AK 81 CSR
Wolfsr, that's good to know. It was really hard telling from the old ones I took out. Of course after I got the exhust back together I decided to try and clean up the old ones with a wire wheel so I could see what they looked like and that's when I figured out I put the new ones in backward. Hope she works out.