Engine identification

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
11 Mar 2007 07:53 #119180 by mountain
Replied by mountain on topic Engine identification
I certainly will weigh heavily trying to find a 750 wiring harness. I will first carefully compare wiring diagrams, though. I will be puting this 750 motor on what would otherwise be a '77 650 B model.

I understand the Dyno difference and its related post power converters. It is interesting that the '77 dyno is a 3-phase power plant. I wonder why Kaw decided to drop this design? The brushless characteristics seem right on. They seem pretty solid state, except for the separate regulator (moving parts). I like 3 phase, being a commmercial electrician, I know 3 phase well enough.

Why wouldn't a harness that matches the chasis and other components work just as well, like a 650 harness? As long as the power generation lines wind up after inserting a correct rec/reg scenario that charges the battery accurately, it think it would be fine.

Wiredgeorge, I do like your strong spark to the coil upgrade using a auto relay. This makes so much sense to me. I've wired hundreds of relays for basically the same reason. It is the way to avoid carrying the load further than it really neads to go; not carrying the load through the control switch (ign. sw up front, here) Thanks for your wise words.

Post edited by: mountain, at: 2007/03/11 10:54

1977 KZ 650 B1, I own two of them. Working on one custom rebuild, one daily rider. Used to have a third. Two 1978 KZ 650 C2 models, sold both. KZ owner since 1987.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2007 17:21 #119294 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Engine identification
The 77 KZ650 is 3 phase??
I thought the 77 was single phase with an exciter coil, just like the 77 750 twin, and the 78 and newer were 3 phase permanent magnet alternators.

KD9JUR

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
11 Mar 2007 23:07 #119406 by mountain
Well, my understanding is that the B1 model has a
field coil
which is the center metal donut. This winding, the green wire goes to it and the frame completes the circuit, creates a magnetic field which the rotating steel Rotor picks up, since it is a ferrous metal.

Then the fixed stator (see field coil picture above, the stator is the visible outer coils) creates juice! This has always been majic to me. No continuity, no touching metal conductors at all, but current is induced on the wire by electromagnetism the law of physics. This Diagram shows that the wiring is done in what is called a wye format, some transformers are wired like this. The three wires need to use each other to complete the circuit from their common center point: in rotation, sinosodal wave forms, angular actually. Not that important, but neat.

The Diagram is out of Clymers and so are these paragraphs on [alt=http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/benfs/IMG_0002-1.jpg]Alternator[/alt] and Rectifier

I haven't even looked at any other dynos yet, but now I own a 750/4 with a different dyno, so I'll figure that one out next. I just wonder why Ma Kaw engineers felt the initial set up was inadequate, or what. Like I say, I love 3 phase.

1977 KZ 650 B1, I own two of them. Working on one custom rebuild, one daily rider. Used to have a third. Two 1978 KZ 650 C2 models, sold both. KZ owner since 1987.

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
11 Mar 2007 23:08 #119407 by mountain
Well, my understanding is that the B1 model has a
field coil
which is the center metal donut. This winding, the green wire goes to it and the frame completes the circuit, creates a magnetic field which the rotating steel Rotor picks up, since it is a ferrous metal. The rotor sqeezes in there between the field coil steel donut and the stator and spins like a whirling dervish.

Then the fixed stator (see field coil picture above, the stator is the visible outer coils) creates juice! This has always been majic to me. No continuity, no touching metal conductors at all, but current is induced on the wire by electromagnetism the law of physics. This Diagram shows that the wiring is done in what is called a wye format, some transformers are wired like this. The three wires need to use each other to complete the circuit from their common center point: in rotation, sinosodal wave forms, angular actually. Not that important, but neat.

The Diagram is out of Clymers and so are these paragraphs on Alternator and Rectifier

I haven't even looked at any other dynos yet, but now I own a 750/4 with a different dyno, so I'll figure that one out next. I just wonder why Ma Kaw engineers felt the initial set up was inadequate, or what. Like I say, I love 3 phase.

Post edited by: mountain, at: 2007/03/12 02:13

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
11 Mar 2007 23:18 #119408 by mountain
Diagram , messed up in last post, sorry.

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
11 Mar 2007 23:22 #119409 by mountain
Trying to get this
diagram
posted

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
11 Mar 2007 23:28 #119410 by mountain
hopefully this works, photobucket is busting my balls.

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
11 Mar 2007 23:31 #119411 by mountain

Photobucket is killing me.

Attachments:

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
12 Mar 2007 07:54 #119461 by mountain
something is screwed up with what I'm doing with my photobucket account. Sorry about all these messed up posts, wrong pictures. If you know what I'm doing wrong, let me in on the secret.