Engine identification

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
06 Mar 2007 09:00 #117713 by mountain
Engine identification was created by mountain

Above is this .738 liter inline four that I am going to put in the place of where an original 1977 650 sat. Two things I nead advice on. Can I just connect the two smog ports together with a hose and forget about the rest of the smog crap? KZwolfSR had this great advice, I'm just looking for other opinions, or confirmation. I don't have the smog hoses, and would rather not revive this crap. Also, here is the Engine #: KZ750EE068632. I'm pretty sure it was off an early '80's model KZ. I tried to place it through buykawasaki.com, but I came up dry. I'm just curious if there is a way to locate exactly which bike Vin# this engine was married to when it rolled off the assembly line. I will need to get the correct regulator/rectifier set up for a working charging system, and also ignition reference would help to line up coils, etc. Knowing the engines model bike might help. I've got a mixed bag, a real basket case (better than christmas), and some of this stuff may be under my thumb, but I need to identify what might match. Any suggestions might help. I am really impressed with this forum, there is so much fantastic knowledge amongst members who are willing to share generously. Cheers to whomever got the ball rolling for KZRider.com.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/03/06 12:23

1977 KZ 650 B1, I own two of them. Working on one custom rebuild, one daily rider. Used to have a third. Two 1978 KZ 650 C2 models, sold both. KZ owner since 1987.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2007 09:31 #117735 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Engine identification
IIRC, the 77 KZ650 used a separate reg and rec, so upgrading to the combined reg/rec of the 750 would be a good idea. A 750 wiring harness and the igniter and reg/rec would make things a lot easier.

Either connect the two smog ports with a hose, or make block off plates.

Zedder has info on their site for engine numbers for various years of the 750.

The wiring is going to be the only real hassle, but a 750 wiring harness would solve that one.

KD9JUR

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
06 Mar 2007 14:50 #117831 by mountain
Replied by mountain on topic Engine identification
I am a master electrician by trade, so the wiring doesn't scare me. A 750 harness would really be the way to go, time wise. Never heard of Zedder. I'll google it. Grassyass Steel.

1977 KZ 650 B1, I own two of them. Working on one custom rebuild, one daily rider. Used to have a third. Two 1978 KZ 650 C2 models, sold both. KZ owner since 1987.

More
06 Mar 2007 18:05 #117874 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Engine identification
It's actually not the wiring that is the problem, it's finding the connectors to fit the igniter, reg/rec, and the rest that is the problem.

KD9JUR

More
06 Mar 2007 18:46 #117897 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Engine identification
I'm thinking 81 or 82. The E1 from 1980 had a black engine and older style cam chain tensioner. My VIN from the frame is in the 6000 area. When I get back home in a couple of days and if I can dig the snow away from in front of the shed I'll check engine #. Chances are though that you'll have answer from zedder before then.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
07 Mar 2007 09:48 #118068 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Engine identification
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and venture to say what you have is an engine out of a 750 LTD. Reason being is the 750 E models came painted black as did the GPZ models and the L-3 models as well. As to model year I tramped out into the snow to check the engine # on the 80 model I have and it ends in 036336 the 81 model I have ends in 043122. Going from that, your engine could be an 82 or 83, at least that would be my guess.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
07 Mar 2007 11:02 #118096 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Engine identification
Its a 750 engine. Besides hooking the smog snouts together with a hose, you can also fill them with BLACK RTV... works fine. I have done this with dozens of the heads... the 1015cc and J model heads have similar plates with snouts and reed valves under. Don't remove the reed valves themselves as they help gasket the existing plate. As far as the wiring, you may be an electrician but the issue is bike functions and this makes it wise to pick up a FULL set of electrical stuff... not try and mix and match unless you understand how everything inter-relates. Get the harness, get the mini-harness for the tail-lamp/rear signals and the mini-harness for the gauges and the mini-harness for the headlight and get the reg/rec or separate regulator and rectifier that came with the harness as well as the switchgear (both sides) and last, the electrical junction panel. The junction panel has a bunch of associated wiring and if you buy it and switchgear, swapping out wiring is relatively painless. Last, the stator wires on the donor engine may or may not be used with the reg/rec... Some KZ stators use 3 wires and some 2. The reg/rec they connect to must be able to work with that particular type. On the 903/1015 family, all the stators (or generators) have 3 wires but on the 650/750 family, that isn't true.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• mountain
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
09 Mar 2007 20:33 #118836 by mountain
Replied by mountain on topic Engine identification
Here is a decent gpz near me,
denver.craigslist.org/mcy/290381302.html
black engine like mentioned. Thanks alot for all advice on electrical. I will be coming back on that challenge in later posts, I'm sure. Having connectors and components match the design will help with future service. Wires need to be disconnected easily at points that the original ma kaw engineers thought were accurate. It should be a fun puzzel.

More
10 Mar 2007 09:40 #118947 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic Engine identification
steell wrote:

It's actually not the wiring that is the problem, it's finding the connectors to fit the igniter, reg/rec, and the rest that is the problem.

nothing a solding gun won't fix...i too am an electrician by trade...:laugh: :laugh:
seriously, i would only use the solding gun as a last resort, i hate butchering these old bikes up..:)

More
10 Mar 2007 09:50 #118954 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Engine identification
mountain wrote:

Here is a decent gpz near me,
denver.craigslist.org/mcy/290381302.html
black engine like mentioned.

mountain...if you look at this GPz, be advised that it is a repaint, and not original as the owner claims...note that the original would have silver over blue stripes as original, not blue over silver stripes...that is the paint scheme for 1981 GPz1100 (and there was no 1981 GPz750):)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
10 Mar 2007 10:18 #118963 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Engine identification
The 77 650 uses a totally different alternator than the 750. You will definitely need a updated reg/rec, and follow the 750 wiring diagram.

More
10 Mar 2007 13:17 #119020 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Engine identification
I believe that is why I mentioned the electrical part... a soldering gun won't help here much hehe

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!