Clutch Slip

More
05 Mar 2007 18:41 #117579 by kzwolfsr
Clutch Slip was created by kzwolfsr
I just got my Sportster up and running and now I think the clutch is slipping. Tell me if this is right from this experience...... I am riding and I am in 1st, I take off... 650 now... take off and it hits 20mph, then as I rev it up higher it just feels like it gives up to go faster and then I switch to 2nd and it pulls to 40 at like 6000 rpm then gives up, then 3rd and it pulls to 50-55. Plus I did a little drag race with myself to see how it would feel and I was on 1st and I can feel when it sorta pushes then stops then pushes some more then it feels like the clutch is dissengaged and it just redlines really quick, then I switch gears and it does just about the same in 2nd... 3rd and the rest are a little alright. I don't think I can go above 80 but I will see.. I dont know yet!. I was working on it and the engine caught a little bit of water drops for the snow but I mopped up most of it, and I checked the oil and its clear and not milky. I should change the oil again and see what happens or should I?

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2007 18:48 #117580 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Clutch Slip
does it jiggity jump above 2k when your engaging it to take off?

if your going to change the oil you might as well take the clutch cover off and check out your clutches.

my clutch bolts were lose and it would slip above 5k, so i bought a clutch kit without checking the clutch assembly first and i found out the discs were good, so i thew the new ones in there and lock tighted the bolts.

check to see how loose they are, then locktight as needed,, and if its a harley throw it in the trash.

Post edited by: themachine, at: 2007/03/05 21:50

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

• wireman
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2007 19:55 #117604 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Clutch Slip
have you tried adjusting the clutch?;)

More
06 Mar 2007 11:23 #117773 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Clutch Slip
Yeah, the clutch is adjusted, and it does "jiggety jump" as you put it machine right at 2000rpm. I rode it today and I was going at 80 mph then it would slip... I am in 5th gear too. I am going to go ride it again and pray it doesn't explode on me!

1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

More
06 Mar 2007 11:34 #117775 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Clutch Slip
How much free play do you have in the cable? If the cable is frayed somewhere, it might not be releasing all the way. Check it at the lever pivot.

More
06 Mar 2007 16:04 #117854 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Clutch Slip
same thing mine did, take the cover off and tighten the bolts, if you can tightn them at all you just fixed it, but if they are snug take them off, pull the plates out and inspect.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
07 Mar 2007 17:20 #118202 by kzwolfsr
My clutch is returning to normal now. What was the problem? The bike was sitting so long that the oil drained out of the disks. Well I am guessing that is what it is, but I have to take it on the interstate and give her a run for her money!

More
09 Mar 2007 21:48 #118857 by kzwolfsr
The clutch is way better now. Took her out on her interstate test and she gets up to 90 mph at like 5 rpm, 5th gear easy. The first time I took her up to speed the clutch slipped and grabbed feeling like a automatic tranny but after that stretch she never jumped again. Rode alongside a Victory hammer, showed him my old bike still had spunk