82 GPz 750 leaking head gasket

More
19 Apr 2007 07:38 #131804 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic 82 GPz 750 leaking head gasket
Just did this job very simple. Remove the cams and the will slip under the chain. Hold the chain up so it doesn't slip off the crank. then unbolt the head and lift it off. easy as that. I also did my valves while i was at it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2012 20:45 #546462 by bqeberle
Replied by bqeberle on topic 82 GPz 750 leaking head gasket
Hey everybody -

This is a great thread for us newbs who want to do top end work. I've only experienced smaller engine top end work, but I'm pretty handy and thorough, so I think this should be basic. I have an '82 Gpz 750 - and good god, do I love that bike. BUT - apparently the previous owner did a helicoil repair on the 3rd cylinder and didn't do it right...so it started throwing the plug about a month ago. The bike is stuck in Maine (amazing that I made it that far!) waiting a new head. I'm not going to over bore the damn thing...too much time. I got really lucky and scored a near perfect head off eBay for 50.00. It looks super nice.

So - I have the Kawi manual (man is it good) so I think that I'm in good hands. I really DON'T want to replace the head gasket and wondered if that really is cool or not? Also - are there any other gaskets that should be replaced when I do this? How about the valve cover gasket?

Also - if anyone has any super basic advice for me, I would deeply appreciate it. Like - are there any super simple and basic things that a noob wouldn't know and that the manual may not cover?

Many thanks in advance.

More
03 Sep 2012 20:50 #546463 by bqeberle
Oh....and one more thing.

Will I need to RE-TIME it when I'm done? I've mainly worked on 2-strokes, nothing this big or with twice the strokes!

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 Sep 2012 20:53 #546465 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 82 GPz 750 leaking head gasket
You MUST replace the Head Gasket for sure if you remove the head.
Don't over torque the Camshaft bearing caps, use an Inch pound torque wrench about 90-110in pounds. Don't use a Foot Pounds torque wrench here. Use it on the head hold downs etc, but not the cam caps.
Also you will need to re-set your valve clearances, so you will need some shims most likely. I would for sure change the Valve Stem oil seals, minimum, but at that time do check the valves and seats, guides for wear. You may want to do a valve job to it before install.
On the original head, if the heli-coil came out, you may be able to use a different size insert. There are a few different sizes out there. Then you could be riding without pulling it apart, if you are in a bind.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
03 Sep 2012 23:08 #546502 by bqeberle
Motorhead - you are THE MAN.

THANKS a million. I will take all of your great advice into careful consideration when I start pulling it apart.

Yeah - I thought about doing an over bore on the jacked up helicoil plug hole. The odd thing is that it seems like it's already too big for the sleeve that was in there. It shot straight out and yet, the threads seem to be fine. But when I try to thread the plug back in (the sleeve is practically welded to the plug...) I can basically drop the plug in without threading it at all. Something is definitely up. I mean...maaaaybeeee I could find a larger sleeve and get it to thread, but I'm feeling that this is a chance to actually have a head on there that is much nicer and in need of no repair instead. I already had to weld up an exhaust stud for it...which works, but it's not great.

Well...I'll check it all out and see where to go. I think doing this head job is kind of like basic 'Man Training' for me. I'm really interested to see how it goes.

Thanks again.