valve shim tool

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
02 Mar 2007 16:53 #116823 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic valve shim tool
BARNEYHYPHEN wrote:

I use the batwing tool. I used to try to pry the bucket down by wedging the little prybar thingy between the shim and the cam lobe BUT NOW....I rotate the cam shaft so the lobe opens the valve, then slide the batwing in beside the cam lobe, between the cam shaft, rough cast part, and the edge of the bucket.

If, once the batwing is in place, you continue to rotate the cam shaft, holding the batwing steady, the lobe will move away from the shim but the batwing will continue to hold the bucket down.

Works for me. Anyone else do this?

Yeah, I did that a couple times. The friction of the cam turning kept wanting to pull the batwing out of place, so I went back to the original method.

West Linn, OR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2007 18:22 #116843 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic valve shim tool
www.wgcarbs.com/269767.html

The Kaw tool is pictured in use plus there is an explanation of how to check clearances and then adjust clearances. The article has been cleaned up and some of it rewritten and will be available on our new web site which should be showing next week. The link will be different. On the new site, still wgcarbs.com you will go to wg's tech stuff index and find the Valve Clearance article in that index.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
02 Mar 2007 18:25 #116844 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic valve shim tool
As far as using the Motion Pro (batwing), they don't recommend rolling the cams back onto the batwing as they are likely afraid you will do damage if you get too enthusiastic rolling the cam back onto the thing. Actually, rolling the cam, as described is the only way to use the tool as the pry doo-hickey is a piece of junk.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
02 Mar 2007 19:42 #116853 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic valve shim tool
of the 2 tools pictured #2 is the closest to what is pictured in my FSM. Looking at the shop manuel I understand how #2 works. I really can't picture how #1 would work.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
03 Mar 2007 20:46 #117158 by 77 900
Replied by 77 900 on topic valve shim tool
I have found that removing cams is easy, that tool also can damage head easily, which is why is i remove cams, with air it can be done in 15 min unless you only
have to replace one or two shims
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1