slack in cam chain

More
26 Feb 2007 06:50 #115507 by martijn
slack in cam chain was created by martijn
I do have a standard kz1000 from 1978 with a standard cam tensioner. I noticed since the last 200 miles breaking in that there was/is a rattle up to 1600 rpm. (I wrote about it in another topic). I dismanteld the whole engine and only thing I found was when turning the crank it took lets say 5 degrees before the cams started to move, even when the cam tensioner was adjusted in the proper way.
could this cause the rattle??
second question: is any delay in crank cam motion normal??
third question: is this "slack" screwed away with a manual tensioner? lika APE's

Martijn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2007 07:09 #115512 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic slack in cam chain
Yes , No and Yes I had a rattle like that and to tell the truth I just new my factory tension just wasn't doing its job anymore so I got the ape manual tensioner, very easy to install, but make sure you cams are timed with your crank after install. Yep it is very well screwed away, and no its not normal to have a delay, especially since the cams have to be ritght on time with the crank. I am not sure but a couple guys might tell you you might need a new cam chain, hopefully not yanking your chain, but also check some people on the easier way to install a new chain, some guys here have done it and survived!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
26 Feb 2007 07:48 #115520 by martijn
Replied by martijn on topic slack in cam chain
thats a clear answer. The camchain is brand new, also idlersand rubbers. I was a bit clueless how to figure out what was the problem. As you see experience is the besty advice!! Thanks

More
26 Feb 2007 21:31 #115713 by APE Jay