How do you clean carbon buildup?

More
25 Feb 2007 19:24 #115403 by sbodi4d
How do you clean carbon buildup? was created by sbodi4d
Got the engine torn down on my 1980 1000 shaftie, there is a lot of carbon on the piston domes and the valves and combustion chamber. What's the best method for removing it? I have access to a bead blaster at work, but don't want to try it without say so from someone more experienced than me.:lol: I don't have the engine completely torn down, just the head removed and the cases split. I don't want to tear down more than I have to.

The only thing I have to replace so far is the output shaft.
See photos here:
s175.photobucket.com/albums/w127/sbodi4d/KZ1000-E2/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2007 19:37 #115408 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic How do you clean carbon buildup?
wrap the skirts and bottems of pistons with several layers of duct tape ad glassbead the domes makes them nice and clean,use an old broken ring to clean the ring grooves just be carefull not to gouge anything.for the head id say strip it down to its bones and put golf tees in valve guides to protect them from glass beads and glass bead the rest of it,a wirewheel on grinder works good for cleaning valves.once everything is cleaned up then you can start measuring things up and deciding what machine work and parts you might need.

More
25 Feb 2007 19:39 #115410 by 1045
Replied by 1045 on topic How do you clean carbon buildup?
From the looks of the pictures you may be burning some oil and/or running very rich, thats alot of crap on there... You may want to consider checking out your bore diameters now that you got your cylinders off, and see if there are still within spec..Now maybe the time to overhaul the top-end.

My 2 cents

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
25 Feb 2007 19:49 #115412 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic How do you clean carbon buildup?
For domes, valves, and combustion chamber in head, I use a fine brass wire wheel. The brass looking wire wheels at harbor freight are NOT brass and too coarse even if they were brass, which they are not. Don't wirebrush, scratch, or gouge the ring lands.

Marvel mystery oil or ATF does a good job of softening carbon if your rigs are stuck. Give it plenty of time if you wish to save the rings. It could take a week of soaking with daily wiggle before they'll come out.

-Duck

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2007 19:59 #115415 by wireman
how are ya feeling duck?;)

More
25 Feb 2007 20:00 #115416 by sbodi4d
Replied by sbodi4d on topic How do you clean carbon buildup?
Here's a little more info on the bike. It was given to me at Christmas, hasn't been started in over a year. I decided to tear it down only as much as needed to get it running. Found the broken output shaft while tearing it down, I do have a shaft to replace it with. Wasn't planning on removing pistons, valves etc... unless absolutely necessary. From the posts so far it sounds like I may have to completely disassemble the engine. This is the first engine I have ever torn down.:ohmy:
I am very mechanically inclined, just never had the chance to restore anything.

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2007 20:15 #115422 by wireman
well once shes down to the point where you have it removing pistons is pretty easy.as far as the head goes ive always figured its easier and cheaper to do it now while its already off motor than to have to tear it back apart later.for the head id say strip it down and glassbead it to get her nice and clean clean the valves,check guides,replace seals and have a goodvalvejob done then you shouldnt have to screw with it for a long time.check the bores if the bores and pistons are in good shape after cleanup a hone and set of rings should take care of it.check the bottem end for any questionable parts and cleanup your oil pump and throw a timing chain in there and check clutch plates and springs.you should be able to ride it for many years if you spend a little time/money on it now while its already apart

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
25 Feb 2007 20:26 #115424 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic How do you clean carbon buildup?
Hey WM!
Thanks for asking. I'm feeling fine right now. Just had a Xanax(TM). Gonna get blood work again at 5AM, washed down at 6AM, and the I'm 3rd in line for bypass tomorrow. Wed is the earliest I'd expect to be back on the computer. If all goes well, I'll be out of here Thu of Fri.

More
25 Feb 2007 20:33 #115426 by sbodi4d
Replied by sbodi4d on topic How do you clean carbon buildup?
Good luck on the bypass Duck, hope everything goes well.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2007 20:49 #115429 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic How do you clean carbon buildup?
sbodi4d wrote:

Good luck on the bypass Duck, hope everything goes well.

Seconded.

Best of luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Attachments:

More
25 Feb 2007 21:10 #115435 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic How do you clean carbon buildup?
Duck wrote:

Hey WM!
Thanks for asking. I'm feeling fine right now. Just had a Xanax(TM). Gonna get blood work again at 5AM, washed down at 6AM, and the I'm 3rd in line for bypass tomorrow. Wed is the earliest I'd expect to be back on the computer. If all goes well, I'll be out of here Thu of Fri.

ouch. i hear bypass and i cringe...good luck and get well soon.

Post edited by: arobsum, at: 2007/02/26 00:10

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
25 Feb 2007 22:46 #115454 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic How do you clean carbon buildup?
On a related topic im looking to get a blast cabnet and compressor. Now i want something big enough so i can toss my jugs in to and clean up (im not into polishing every fin!)

and i want a compressor that can power it and a cheaper spray gun (must be single stage! we have a huge 3 stage compressor already, gear driven even...but useless to us)

Soooo any recomendations for these two items? And also for aluminum is glass bead better than walnut shell?

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.