Top end gaskets

More
24 Feb 2007 07:23 #114933 by 2bskor
Top end gaskets was created by 2bskor
I have to replace my head gasket and base gasket and my valve cover gasket I am a bit concerned about the taking aprt and putting back together bit. I have a clymers manual and it seems to be a not so hard job but I am looking for feedback on some tips. Will the chain slip off of the bottom crank or is it possible to skip a tooth. I know the chain can fall in. Would you mark the cams/chains. Is there a chance the rings would turn into a different plsce in the cylinder and bypass oil?? Would you replace the rings?? The engine works fine except the left base gasket leaks out oil at highway speeds.

1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
24 Feb 2007 08:35 #114954 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Top end gaskets
have you tried retorqing the nuts on the head to see if that stops your leak?;)

More
24 Feb 2007 09:37 #114983 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Top end gaskets
Ditto! Retorguing helps alot, especially if you got that small one area leak, I had the same problem.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
24 Feb 2007 09:50 #114984 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Top end gaskets
2bskor wrote:

I have to replace my head gasket and base gasket and my valve cover gasket I am a bit concerned about the taking aprt and putting back together bit. I have a clymers manual and it seems to be a not so hard job but I am looking for feedback on some tips. Will the chain slip off of the bottom crank or is it possible to skip a tooth. I know the chain can fall in. Would you mark the cams/chains. Is there a chance the rings would turn into a different plsce in the cylinder and bypass oil?? Would you replace the rings?? The engine works fine except the left base gasket leaks out oil at highway speeds.

Unaware of the mileage on your 1979 KZ1000ST, but because the engine works fine except the left base gasket leaks out oil at highway speeds, would suggest considerating the following prior to the contemplated top end work:

As wireman suggested, be sure head bolts are properly torqued to specs.

Might also assure (1) crankcase oil level is not too high (2) fresh oil of proper viscosity (3) crankcase vent and hose are clear and unobstructed (4) no leaks past any of the four copper crush washers under head bolts at the extreme right and left sides of the cylinder head.

Would remove valve cover and existing gasket. Carefully and thoroughly clean both head and valve cover surfaces to pristine condition. While valve cover is off, remove tach drive unit and replace rubber seal and o-ring (replace tach drive before reinstalling valve cover). Also a good opportunity to check valve clearances (make notes and keep in your maintenance records). Replace valve cover using a new valve cover gasket. Do not use sealer or lube of any kind on the new gasket (but recall wireman sometimes uses a little chapstick -- never argue with wireman :P) Okay to use tiny bit of sealer on the end plugs.

Minor leaking past the round copper exhaust header crush gaskets can result in nasty seepage onto the fins and sometimes mistaken for a head gasket leak. At highway speeds, this seepage can blow all over, including onto the alternator cover and ignition cover. Same for any other seepage from the cam plugs, valve cover gasket, or tach drive.

You can do this first -- Would suggest cleaning engine with gunk or whatever, hose it off, and blow dry (do not crank engine). When completely dry (may dust some baby powder around the suspected leak areas if desired - not a joke), crank the engine and allow it to idle while you sit with a flashlight closely inspecting the clean dry engine for the first signs of leakage. As the engine reaches operating temperature, any leakage should become evident.

Happy hunting. Hope it's one of these simple fixes. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
24 Feb 2007 10:50 #115003 by 2bskor
Replied by 2bskor on topic Top end gaskets
Thank you all very much, I did retorque the head bolts but still had seepage but the copper crush washers peaked my interest. Where are these located. My upper fins are also oily.

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2007 09:39 #115252 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Top end gaskets
under the nuts on head you torqued down ,outside 2 nuts on each side.;)

More
25 Feb 2007 18:01 #115375 by 2bskor
There is no oil at all on the top of the engine. It goes all over the left engine cover and the left side of the air box????????????????????????????????????????????

More
25 Feb 2007 19:29 #115406 by 1045
Replied by 1045 on topic Top end gaskets
Where are you in Halifax??? I am in Cole harbour and I could look at it with you if you like. You may not have to tear it all apart, like the others have said..

Send me a U2U if you are interested.....

More
26 Feb 2007 18:19 #115674 by 2bskor
Thanks I sent you a u2u:lol: