MAC exaust system

More
22 Feb 2007 18:49 #114607 by katjbus
MAC exaust system was created by katjbus
I finally found an exhaust system for my 1982 kz550 ltd, has anyone used this exhaust? have any comments before i order it, it is a brand new system

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2007 20:02 #114632 by KZDon
Replied by KZDon on topic MAC exaust system
I have a Mac 4 into 1 on my 81 550. It's not nearly as good as stock, but it works. It sounds like a Briggs & Stratton compared to the sound of the stock pipes.

I put it on four years ago when the stockers rotted completely out, and I couldn't find stock replacements. Mac was the only complete system available and it was inexpensive.

It went on very easily. It was a little fussy getting all four head pipes to seat properly and not leak, and it took some time to sort out attaching the muffler bracket at the passenger footpeg. Mac ships the pipe with a bolt on bracket to allow retention of the centre stand.

Mac claims no jetting is necessary when changing from stock pipes. I find my 550 is rougher than ever on startup, and was initially stumbling until 4000 RPM. However, I cleaned the carbs and reset everything, including the adjustment screws, to stock settings, put in a clean new air filter, and most of those problems have cleared up. It still starts terribly, but once warmed up it even idles without stalling (!!!). I suspect a freer breathing air filter would probably help.

Since putting the Mac on I've been considering alternatives. It occurs to me that anything that fits a 550 Zephyr should work with a KZ550. The engine specs are very similar. I'm not sure if the head pipes are the same diameter. The Zephyr came with a 4-2-1 chrome pipe when new, I think, which would probably sound and look vastly better than the Mac. But it would probably cost three times as much too.

If this link works, this is the Mac pipe I have.

www.macperformance.com/store/category.cfm?SID=3&Category_ID=628

I hope this helps.

Midland, Ontario, Great White North

2004 650 V-Strom
farewell to 81 KZ550A2 - 82 GS750T - 83 GPz750 - R-Reg GT380 - 76 DT175 - 84 GPz550

More
22 Feb 2007 20:29 #114641 by katjbus
Replied by katjbus on topic MAC exaust system
Thanks for the input, so it did not improve your performance?? That sucks it sounds so bad.

More
22 Feb 2007 20:51 #114646 by KZDon
Well, I couldn't have continued riding with the stock pipes, so anything that kept it running was a good thing.

For the money, the Mac pipes are fine. They do the job, and weren't much of a headache to install. I really didn't expect a performance gain, but then I'm always sceptical of anyone claiming big gains just from swapping a pipe on a 25+ year old bike.

If and when I get around to prettying up the bike, I will probably look into the stock Zephyr pipes.

2004 650 V-Strom
farewell to 81 KZ550A2 - 82 GS750T - 83 GPz750 - R-Reg GT380 - 76 DT175 - 84 GPz550

More
23 Feb 2007 05:48 #114690 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic MAC exaust system
KZDon wrote:

Well, I couldn't have continued riding with the stock pipes, so anything that kept it running was a good thing.

For the money, the Mac pipes are fine. They do the job, and weren't much of a headache to install. I really didn't expect a performance gain, but then I'm always sceptical of anyone claiming big gains just from swapping a pipe on a 25+ year old bike.

If and when I get around to prettying up the bike, I will probably look into the stock Zephyr pipes.

As you can see in my sig line, I have the Mac 2-1, and I pretty much agree w/KZDon. I don't think it will improve performance but don't think it will hurt either...and they are cheap :)

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
23 Feb 2007 09:52 #114751 by KZDon
Something I didn't ask was whether you still have stock pipes on the bike and what condition they are in. If the stockers are serviceable, stick with them. Besides, they look muuuuuuch better.

2004 650 V-Strom

More
23 Feb 2007 12:00 #114787 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic MAC exaust system
I have to agree with everything Don said. On my 81 550 I had to make my own muffler bracket, (It's just a piece of metal with 2 holes in it).

It definitely needs rejetting if you want it to run smooth at lower RPMs when cold, but even then, I don't know if it will ever run as smooth as stock. It breathes a lot more than stock.

Don't like the sound, but at least the price was ok. You can always put a different muffler on it like a Kerker K series canister if you can find one. I bought it really just for the 4-1 pipes.