Will this engine stand work?

More
11 Feb 2007 15:32 #111610 by drayman86
Will this engine stand work? was created by drayman86
Group:

Thanks for checking this thread.

Wondering if this engine stand will work for a 650:

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32915

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2007 15:34 #111611 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Will this engine stand work?
You have to make your own head for it. That is what we do.

Jay

More
11 Feb 2007 15:42 #111614 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Will this engine stand work?
Unless you modify as Jay says, this stand appears to be made for automotive engines. A motor stand made specifically for motorcycle engines is sold by K&L and carried by www.Z1Enterprises.com Those are considerably more expensive, but they do work well (I speak from experience).:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
11 Feb 2007 16:04 #111625 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Will this engine stand work?
I got that sme stand at advance auto for $33.00, no shipping no wait, in fact I have 6 of them, they will hold a 650 like a feather I had a fullhouse ford 460(695lbs) on one with no problem, I am modifying a 650 frame(engine cradle)to weld on the plate of one of them, over the past few years I have aquired several bikes for parts with no titles and found if I cut the frame and left the cradle part the engines were easier to move and store this is the part I will use for the engine stand

More
11 Feb 2007 18:15 #111673 by drayman86
Replied by drayman86 on topic Will this engine stand work?
Thanks fellas.

Regarding the head; is it complicated to fabricate? I know a great local welding shop who does fine work at a very reasonable price. Can you give me a few ideas on what it is I'll need to have made? Pics would be great, if not too much trouble.

Thanks again!

• wireman
  • Visitor
11 Feb 2007 19:15 #111689 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Will this engine stand work?
im kinda partial to the 4 wheel engine stands myself they dont cost much more and are a lot more stable in my experiance.for the plate i would make something that bolts on to the top and bottem mounts on rear of motor that should give you plenty of support for spinning motor around;)

More
12 Feb 2007 04:33 #111761 by drayman86
Replied by drayman86 on topic Will this engine stand work?
Thanks, wireman and all.

I'm going to go with a traditional automotive engine stand and have my local weld shop fab up the type of plate you described. The bike engine stands from Z1 are fine indeed, however a bit price-prohibitive.

Will post pics of what I end up with in my Project thread of the forum, in case others are interested.