Installing cams

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
06 Feb 2007 05:52 #110519 by mark1122
Installing cams was created by mark1122
Im putting my motor back together to check valve to piston clearances.I put it at tdc #1/4,put cam chain on exhaust cam with sprocket mark lined up with eng.top,counted 28 pins ,installed int. on mark.put on roller tower.I also marked these pins and cam gear marks with a marking pen before dissasembly.Now the pen marks line up as before.But for some reason when i advance the crank my intake and exh. valves want to hit.I obviously did something wrong here .Any advice?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2007 06:47 #110535 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Installing cams
Roller tower between the cams goes on last, with both cams in place.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

More
06 Feb 2007 10:20 #110576 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Installing cams
You may be off! Ha. Make sure the intake isn't 180 out of ccourse or the ex.! The engine should be tdc not the fire mark mark, right, ok I believe you. This is the compression stroke so the intakes should be closed and on the way to opening after the cam lobe travels over the top. Don'tsha know?:The in. is opening early or the ex. is closing late. If you don't figure it out you get nothing for christmas. And WE want to know!

Post edited by: nads.com, at: 2007/02/06 13:25

Post edited by: nads.com, at: 2007/02/06 13:26

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
06 Feb 2007 10:37 #110581 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Installing cams
While we are on this subject, let me ask a related question.

I also just reassembled my engine. When installing the cams, I followed the manual's instructions--turned the crank to 1-4 TDC, then installed the exhaust cam with the ">" mark pointing to the front. My concern is this. With the position of the chain pins in relation to the cam gear teeth, the > mark is not exactly flush with the head rim. It is actually about 1/4" above it. But if I were to move it one tooth down, it would be below the rim. Should I be concerned?

I did quadruple-check the 28-pin distance to the intake mark, so I'm sure that's correct.

I have not fired it up yet, but I'm getting close. Just need to put on my exhaust, and I should be ready to go. If it turns out that my exahust gear position is 1 pin off, is it going to damage my engine when I fire it up, or will it just run rough?

West Linn, OR

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
06 Feb 2007 11:54 #110601 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Installing cams
If you know it is off 1 pin fix it first.then with all the plugs out.rotate the eng. by hand while looking in the plug holes and you can see (with a light) if the valves and pistons are all happy .

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
06 Feb 2007 11:57 #110603 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Installing cams
It just dond on me that the cam sprocket(on the intake cam) is probably on the cam incorectly,because on #1 int and exh are not pointing in oposite directions.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• Skyman
  • User
More
06 Feb 2007 12:24 #110609 by Skyman
mark1122 wrote:

If you know it is off 1 pin fix it first.then with all the plugs out.rotate the eng. by hand while looking in the plug holes and you can see (with a light) if the valves and pistons are all happy .

The problem is that I do NOT know if it is one pin off. For those of you who have experience with this, is it normal that the > mark would be slightly above the head rim at 1-4 TDC, or should the arrow mark be pointing exactly at the rim?

I have turned the engine over many times by hand, and have not heard or felt any "collisions", but I don't know if that would change with the enging running.

West Linn, OR

More
06 Feb 2007 16:15 #110643 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic Installing cams
Any decking or a stretched cam chain will effectively make the chain chain longer. Cam lobes should be close to pointing "inward" towards eachother on the points side with 1 & 4 @TDC whitch is the T mark on the advance mechanism but with slotted cam sprockets, the degreeing process will put the lobes in the correct position even if the markes on the sprocket don't line up precisely with the head.

More
06 Feb 2007 16:20 #110645 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Installing cams
My guess is you're using the wrong marks. On a KZ650 marks are clear as day, no way to make an error. On a KZ900/1000 it can be deceiving, you can line up marks thinking they are the ones referenced, but there may be another mark which is actually the mark you want to use. The way I found this out was the hard way. If you turn your engine over and feel any resistance or any "clicks" it means the valves have butted and you'll have the intakes bent which can be verified with a clearance check. If you suddenly have gobs of valve clearance, you've done damage. This is a very common thing if you're not familier with the engine and cam marks, which I wasn't :sick:

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
06 Feb 2007 16:22 #110646 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Installing cams
Well, I reread and you marked the cams, sorry about that, guess it isn't what I thought

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Skyman
  • User
More
06 Feb 2007 16:55 #110655 by Skyman
Okay, I guess I'm going to try to get some photos posted so you guys can double-check my work before I try firing up this beast. I'll try to do that tonight.

West Linn, OR

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
06 Feb 2007 17:11 #110657 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Installing cams
mark1122 wrote:

It just dond on me that the cam sprocket(on the intake cam) is probably on the cam incorectly,because on #1 int and exh are not pointing in oposite directions.

Looking at the motor from the igniton side #4 cylinder:

Exhaust cam - #4 lobe pointing back toward intake ports, the > will be at 3 O'Clock position.

Intake cam - #4 lobe pointing toward exhaust ports, the 28th pin mark will be at almost 12 O'Clock position. IF you have that, then the sprockets are on correctly. That doesnt' mean they're timed properly yet, just that the sprockets are positioned correctly.

If for some reason, you still have the rubber on the sides of the sprockets, DISREGARD the lines on the rubber. They are references marks for factory valve adjustment procedure ONLY.