Valve stem seals: original or aftermarket?

More
05 Feb 2007 06:37 #110305 by Zthou1977
Hi all,

In a week or two I'll finally have the time to finish the overhaul of the head of the KZ1000P. Because original Kaw valve stem seals are ridiculously expensive (some 8 euro / 10.30 USD each) I'm thinking of using aftermarket seals. A search yielded no results, so: does anybody have any experience with this? I do not want to have to redo this because I cheapened out.

Thanks!

1977 Z1000A1, 1982-1986 KZ1000P (built from two piles of parts), Moto Martin Z1200 (trying to get it registered), 1977 Z650B1
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2007 06:44 #110307 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Valve stem seals: original or aftermarket?
K&L valve stem seals...purchased through www.Z1enterprises.com

Post edited by: Mcdroid, at: 2007/02/05 10:08

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
05 Feb 2007 06:54 #110310 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Valve stem seals: original or aftermarket?
I think Z1 and APE would probably ship to Europe, and I think they would probably be cheaper even after shipping.

$18.95 plus shipping at APE

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/02/05 09:56

KD9JUR

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2007 16:10 #110433 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Valve stem seals: original or aftermarket?
This one's going to piss off someone but I call them as I see them.

The aftermarket seals are NOT the quality of the OEM seals. I use them myself but that doesn't change the facts.

I've noticed the aftermarket seals are not nearly as pliable and when they are pushed down on the guide, the hole for the valve stem tends to deform. I play around with them until they look round again.

JMO

Larry C

More
05 Feb 2007 16:19 #110435 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Valve stem seals: original or aftermarket?
larrycavan wrote:

The aftermarket seals are NOT the quality of the OEM seals. I use them myself but that doesn't change the facts.

I've noticed the aftermarket seals are not nearly as pliable and when they are pushed down on the guide, the hole for the valve stem tends to deform. I play around with them until they look round again.

JMO

Larry C

I have read the same thing elsewhere, so I doubt that you'll upset anyone. :)

I do wonder which ones last the longest though.

KD9JUR

More
06 Feb 2007 06:06 #110523 by Zthou1977
Replied by Zthou1977 on topic Valve stem seals: original or aftermarket?
larrycavan wrote:

JMO

Larry C

It may be an opinion, but it is from your personal experience, so it is good to know. I asked for opinions, and that's what I got. I had already heard it somewhere once, which is why I asked. Then again, a lot of people say aftermarket gasket kits are no good either, which I do not believe.

I think I'll go with APE. They are a reputable company, and as they are adamant their seals are very good, I'll take their word for it. It's still cheaper than original Kaw.

Next question: best ways to install these seals. Any advice?

Jeroen

1977 Z1000A1, 1982-1986 KZ1000P (built from two piles of parts), Moto Martin Z1200 (trying to get it registered), 1977 Z650B1
Utrecht, The Netherlands

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
06 Feb 2007 10:54 #110585 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Valve stem seals: original or aftermarket?
I put a little oil on them and push them on with my finger.

Zthou1977 wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

JMO

Larry C

It may be an opinion, but it is from your personal experience, so it is good to know. I asked for opinions, and that's what I got. I had already heard it somewhere once, which is why I asked. Then again, a lot of people say aftermarket gasket kits are no good either, which I do not believe.

I think I'll go with APE. They are a reputable company, and as they are adamant their seals are very good, I'll take their word for it. It's still cheaper than original Kaw.

Next question: best ways to install these seals. Any advice?

Jeroen

More
06 Feb 2007 16:05 #110640 by Kiwiz
Replied by Kiwiz on topic Valve stem seals: original or aftermarket?
I have used non OEM without any hassle since installed.

However I had major problems installing them and this was not due to inexperience but to (too!) big fingers!

The best technique I believe is to install the valves and slide the seal down over the valve stem using it as a guide. The only trick then is to ease the lip of the seal over the guide which frankly due to clearance problems was not easy to due to the size of the tunnel relative to my fingers.

My wife has much smaller fingers than mine and found it easier to push the seals over the guides. As an alternative it might be possible to hook out the lip of the seal with a smooth curved implement as pressure is applied from the top. Having B*****ed some of these on my first installation attempt I suggest you buy a few spares.

More
06 Feb 2007 23:42 #110748 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Valve stem seals: original or aftermarket?
A friend of mine (a tech at Felpro) once told me you want to use seals made with Viton rubber. Viton is a trademark for a Dupont elastomer. Supposedly it's the best material for valve seals, but costs more.

I don't know from experience, just wondering if anyone else had an opinion on Viton or knows of a maker that uses Viton for KZ seals.

More
07 Feb 2007 22:41 #110918 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Valve stem seals: original or aftermarket?
Here is how we install the seals without the little spring popping off. Take an old valve and cut the head off so you just have the stem. Now find something that will clear the spring and contact the top of the seal. We use a valve guide, small wrist pin, etc. You can probably use a small socket with an extension on it.

Put the valve stem into the seal. This spreads the top out which prevents the spring from coming off. Stick it down into the guide. this lines it up perfectly. Then using the socket or whatever, push down on the seal until it pops into place on the guide. Remove the valve stem. Repeat.

Jay

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Feb 2007 22:50 #110920 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Valve stem seals: original or aftermarket?
Ever try KY jelly?Ive heard you can put things on in tight places with that stuff.Even in the dark.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)