camshaft bearing caps

More
09 Feb 2007 07:31 #111148 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic camshaft bearing caps
Larry, I don't know what type bearings you have... remove the caps and look for scoring. If you don't see any, put the original parts back in. If you do, the scoring will be on the bearing surfaces I think so you would need to replace the bearings I guess.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2007 09:15 #111169 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic camshaft bearing caps
Larry, as George says I´d just put the old caps back on as they match the head - if you didn´t run the engine for more than 4-5 minutes I doubt you did much damage.

Btw, the 650s don´t have camshaft bearings (or bushings if you will), the cams are in direct contact with the head/caps. I guess the contact area has some sort of surface coating/hardening, but there are no replaceable parts.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
09 Feb 2007 14:36 #111211 by Larry2882
Replied by Larry2882 on topic camshaft bearing caps
Tnk's guys for the reply. I have to try and get this engine running first,only low rpm's. I have been at it all day with no success. New head gasket,points and cond's,plugs and all it will do is burn the primer and die out.Question: carb's original MIC emblem on each body. One and three quarter turns on bottom screws on carb's? There is one underneath each gas bowl. One more question: New points. Cannot figure out how too adjust the two sets of points to the firing order of the pistons. The firing order should be 1243 am I correct? If so, when you look in the hole in the points plate and see T F and F is the firing mark is the engine going to fire on #1or#2. Do I have to take off the valve cover again to see what valves are closing when they should. BIG Order hey! Poor old Newfie,out in shed,froze to death,but KZ going to go!

More
09 Feb 2007 14:36 #111212 by Larry2882
Tnk's guys for the reply. I have to try and get this engine running first,only low rpm's. I have been at it all day with no success. New head gasket,points and cond's,plugs and all it will do is burn the primer and die out.Question: carb's original MIC emblem on each body. One and three quarter turns on bottom screws on carb's? There is one underneath each gas bowl. One more question: New points. Cannot figure out how too adjust the two sets of points to the firing order of the pistons. The firing order should be 1243 am I correct? If so, when you look in the hole in the points plate and see T F and F is the firing mark is the engine going to fire on #1or#2. Do I have to take off the valve cover again to see what valves are closing when they should. BIG Order hey! Poor old Newfie,out in shed,froze to death,but KZ going to go!

More
09 Feb 2007 14:44 #111213 by Larry2882
Sorry in the page. I should have said will the points fire on #1piston or will they fire on #4. Hope you get what I mean.