camshaft bearing caps

More
03 Feb 2007 21:09 #110037 by bison
camshaft bearing caps was created by bison
I am currently restoring a 79SR and I decided to purchase a new head, because my original head had some cracks around the spark plug. My new head did not come with the cam shaft bearing caps. The service manual says that I should make sure to use matched cam shaft bearing caps with head and cam shaft. My question is do you see any issues with using my original camshaft and original camshaft bearing caps on a different head?

1979 SR650 D2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2007 21:21 #110042 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic camshaft bearing caps
Other than the camshaft not being able to turn in it, nothing.

Seriously, you need the caps that came from the new head, or you have to send the head and the other caps to Rick Stetson at Harrys machine Works and get them fitted.

Jay

More
04 Feb 2007 09:30 #110123 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic camshaft bearing caps
Jay is right, the cam bores are align bored from the factory, so each one is going to be differant, I know there are some out here that have replaced caps and made them work, but I would not try it

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
04 Feb 2007 14:29 #110184 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic camshaft bearing caps
The cam caps used to be part of the cylinder head. The head casting was line bored and the caps cut off. This provides a pretty precise clearance for the cams. If you have a box of 100 cam caps, you will very likely be able to fit a good working set using plastigage checking their fitment one by one. If you have a manual, buy some plastigage at the autoparts store and check the clearance of your old cam caps on the new cylinder head. I suspect you will notice that they very very likely will not have the correct clearance. You can try and get the cam caps retro fitted... I think some shops can re-line bore them but you would do better to find another head; this time one that comes complete. They generally cost a tad more than the ones without cam caps bwhahahaha

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
05 Feb 2007 05:57 #110295 by bison
Replied by bison on topic camshaft bearing caps
Thanks very much for the input. guess I'll chalk this one up to experience, and get my old head fixed. By the way if anyone's interested, I have a head for a kz650 in excellent shape for sale!!

1979 SR650 D2

More
05 Feb 2007 06:59 #110313 by steell
Replied by steell on topic camshaft bearing caps
bison wrote:

Thanks very much for the input. guess I'll chalk this one up to experience, and get my old head fixed. By the way if anyone's interested, I have a head for a kz650 in excellent shape for sale!!

It's worth probably $5-$6 (or more) as scrap aluminum, and you don't have to mess with shipping it :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/02/05 09:59

KD9JUR

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
05 Feb 2007 07:09 #110318 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic camshaft bearing caps
If you've got a really nice head there, I suggest a call to Jay's reference to see what it costs to get the caps matched up. It's not overly complicated. The caps are milled a tad on their mounting surface, mounted, and the bores are honed.

More
05 Feb 2007 08:27 #110338 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic camshaft bearing caps
pm me on the heasd for the 650

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
07 Feb 2007 22:54 #110921 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic camshaft bearing caps
Actually, if they are close, Stetson would only have to line hone it.

Jay

More
08 Feb 2007 07:54 #110964 by 900cows
Replied by 900cows on topic camshaft bearing caps
Does anybody know what the actual clearence is between the cam journal and cam caps?

More
08 Feb 2007 10:50 #110999 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic camshaft bearing caps
The measurement that is important is the clearance between the cam bearings and cam journals. That spec is in both the Clymer and Kaw Factory Service Manual for the 903/1015. You install cams/cam caps with plastigage between the two surfaces then remove the cams and measure the plastigage.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
08 Feb 2007 12:06 #111006 by Larry2882
Replied by Larry2882 on topic camshaft bearing caps
This is bad news on the cam bearing caps. Got bike put back together and now I have to put the caps on that came with the head I bought. I used my caps on the old head because they looked in better cond. The engine has been started a few times since. Total running time approx.4to5 mins. Is it too late to replace the original caps now? 1976 KZ650. I also replaced the cams and valves from my old head. By's am I in trouble!