KZ650SR Gearbox whine in 1st

More
29 Jan 2007 21:35 #109086 by Dustproof
KZ650SR Gearbox whine in 1st was created by Dustproof
Hi Guy's,

I am new to this bike and was wondering if all KZ650D's have a whine in 1st gear. I got the bike fired up the other day for the first time and took it around the block to test. My other bike is a GSX1400 which has a factory fitted whine in 1st.

It also has a rattle at around idle and goes away as you rev it. It sounds more cam chain related, I checked the auto tensioner and it fixed it mostly but still rattles a bit. As it warms up it tends to go away as it idles faster.

Thanks
Noel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2007 21:44 #109090 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic KZ650SR Gearbox whine in 1st
that sounds normal to me,saw the light and decided to get a real bike huh?dont let that 650 scare ya,if you can hold that 1400 down that 650 shouldnt be much trouble for ya!:P welcome to z-jungle

More
29 Jan 2007 22:03 #109097 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic KZ650SR Gearbox whine in 1st
I believe the 650's have a chain driven bottom end that has an issue with clunking at low revs. It whines only in first?

More
29 Jan 2007 22:44 #109104 by Dustproof
Replied by Dustproof on topic KZ650SR Gearbox whine in 1st
I see the chain in the manual, does the rattle mean failure some time soon or will it laste for a good while yet. A friend has a Zepher 750 which has a similar noise at idle as well, I tend to thing hers is cam chain.

Thanks
Noel

More
30 Jan 2007 12:05 #109180 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic KZ650SR Gearbox whine in 1st
Ok I am here to help you out man! My SR doesn't whine in first gear like you say. Maybe someone did work on your tranny and it has a different sound to it. As for the rattling sound you hear, it possibly not your chain, Sounds like the same problem I had.My first question to solve that is is your kick stand worn and your bike has an extreme lean? Also did anyone start your bike and just leave it at idle on its kickstand?. If you said yes to both questions, it can be your crankrod bearing that is worn from oil starvation or ........ try this..... when you start the bike lean it to the right and that keeps the oil from draining out of the valve train on the right side...do this while bike is running. Iff the noise goes away you probably had a small quantity of oil on the valvetrain. Get back to me on your answers!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
12 Feb 2007 12:37 #111873 by Dustproof
Replied by Dustproof on topic KZ650SR Gearbox whine in 1st
Hi kzwolfsr ,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, it has been p#$%ing down rain here and I haven't got a chance to get back to the bike to check. At this rate the rain should stop next weekend so I will check out what you said then. :) I have just purchased a used center stand and unfortunately the bike probably has been started on the side stand, as a habbit I start my bikes when upright. The oil needs changing but I have to take off the clutch cover to get re-chromed so I will change it later. The sound is a light rattle not bottom end related, I tried to load the clutch to see if it is the Hivo chain but this didn't do anything.

Thanks
Noel

More
12 Feb 2007 18:20 #111959 by kzwolfsr
Well I wouldn't expect the same problem then, so its either your chain or valve clearances. The crankrod noise has a somewhat not loud not light ticking... ticking not rattling, so you would be in luck! My SR is in trouble right now. I put it together and it started right away but I have a stripped exhaust bolt on 3 and it has this rapping noise from a leaking exhaust. plus I have to pull off the valve cover to see if I even have any lubrication and my carb bowls leak at all the bowls from not tightening the screws enough. Just great huh? At least I have my 1000 to keep me riding!

1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

More
12 Feb 2007 18:22 #111960 by kzwolfsr
I forgot to tell you I don't think this whine will hurt unless you feel roughness on the output to the chain

Post edited by: kzwolfsr, at: 2007/02/12 21:24

Attachments: