cheaper remote starter???????

More
29 Jan 2007 12:36 #108979 by dixie789456
cheaper remote starter??????? was created by dixie789456
i'm looking to put the ape remote starter plate on my 78 kz1000 that i'm turning into a drag bike. is there anything i can use till i get a remote starter? will an electric impact gun work? i'm runnig 12.1 compression. also is there anything cheaper than the pingel remote starter? its around the 350.00 range.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2007 17:06 #109037 by CoMIYC
Replied by CoMIYC on topic cheaper remote starter???????
Sorry I can't really answer your question, but just a little advise to pass on.;)

I asked a buddy of mine a long time ago how much I should spend on a helmet? He said if you've got a $20 head buy a $20 helmet. If you got a $1000 head...

Point is:

If you're going to use a tool once buy the cheap one, if you're going to go into competition, find out what the pro's say about reliability so you don't end up on the line with a broken starter! ie. spend the cash.

Happy hunting B)

www.birdsperformancecoatings.com
75 Z1B 1135, 83 GPz 1170, 85 RZ350, 86 RZ 350, 2000 ZX9R
Gone: 81 CB400T, 83 Kz750
AKA: Don

• wireman
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2007 17:55 #109054 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic cheaper remote starter???????
how about leaving your kickstart on there,or even your electric start?i dont think you are really saving that much weight by getting rid of it myself;)

More
29 Jan 2007 22:08 #109101 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic cheaper remote starter???????
I would leave kick start on. My engine builder says that I should be able to kick start my 12:1cr motor. First thing I got rid of on my dragbike was the electric start.

More
30 Jan 2007 16:30 #109231 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic cheaper remote starter???????
You can kick-start a 12-1 motor, but just be ready for kickback. It truly hurts! As far as a remote starter goes, they aren't that hard to build. Just take any starter...some use big Chrysler starters and even starters off endloaders etc.(huge and heavy but powerful), but most guys get a gear-reduction starter off many cars or mini-vans. I am going to use one off a 1990 Chrysler mini-van(nippondensel, I believe). Any place that repairs starters can tell you which ones. Take it apart and remove the bendix drive and gears. There are two ways to do this. Some just weld a 1 1/8" deep socket onto the bendix drive shaft, but doing only this aloows the shaft to jump out like it would stock, and makes it tricky at times. Take the end cap off starter, cut off the nose so it's fluch with body of starter. Then go into the starter itself and figure out what and where needs to be welded so the shaft doesn't jump out when power is applied. If I remember right, you willposition shaft to full extension and weld it to the gear it slides through. After welding everything, put starter back together and go. When welding the socket onto end of shaft, place a washer about 1/8" thick between it and starter housing to space socket away from body and remove after done welding. Then you will have to design a handle for it but I've seen many different ideas...just make it with a handle on each side of starter for balance and stability. Some use one handle and rest another shaft on motor case to hold starter on, but that will mar your paint or aluminum after awhile. Google dragbike photos and look for starter carts and look at the various handles...

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
30 Jan 2007 17:43 #109249 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic cheaper remote starter???????
An impact gun is probably a bad idea. Remember, it hammers to produce torque. You want a geared down drill of some sort, or something that produces smooth torque.