Rechrome Z-1 Classic engine covers

More
29 Jan 2007 21:55 #109095 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Rechrome Z-1 Classic engine covers
Dustproof wrote:

... anyone tried to remove the chrome from the engine covers ? I presume some sort of wire brush or abrasive process to get it back to bare metal for polishing. Also is there a website for the clear product to coat the parts when finished.

Probably fighting a losing battle in going back to bare metal for polishing.

Might consider powdercoating, with many color choices now available. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2007 17:37 #109441 by TMOS34
Replied by TMOS34 on topic Rechrome Z-1 Classic engine covers
I am sending alot of motor parts out this winter to have them chromed or rechormed. There company Call AAA Chrome and Gold in Hendersonville,TN. They have some good looking chrome.

Check this out,

www.dragbike.com/dbnews/anmviewer.asp?a=1873&z=12

More
01 Feb 2007 20:21 #109629 by edspring1
Replied by edspring1 on topic Rechrome Z-1 Classic engine covers
REMOVE CHROME? SEND IT TO ANY CHROMER. THEY DO IT WITH A SORT OF ELECTROYLIS PROCESS. HAVE TO REVERSE THE PLATING PROCESS. YOU TRY TO SAND, BUFF, CHEMICALS AND ALL YOU'LL DO IS WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY, WITH TIME CONSUMING POOR RESULTS. BEEN THERE DONE THAT. PLUS IF YOU DECIDE TO SEND IT OUT, IT SHOULD COME BACK POLISHED ALREADY. I LIKE THAT IDEA OF CLEAR COATING POLISHED ALUMINUM, WONDER IF IT EVER YELLOWS LIKE FACTORY? OR HOW RESISTANT IT IS TO CHEMICALS?
BUT NOTHING LIKE CHROME FOR EASE OF MAINTANCE. A LITTLE WINDEX AND YOUR OFF TO ENJOY A RIDE, POLISHED, YOUR HOURS WITH YOUR FAVORITE CHEMICAL [ MOTHERS ETC. ]

More
04 Apr 2007 20:40 #126568 by baja454
Replied by baja454 on topic Rechrome Z-1 Classic engine covers
The local chrome shop here in Des Moines wanted $175 to rechrome the sprocket cover. Part of the cost was to fix some of the scratching that the dilrod did before I got the bike. It looked like he used a wire brush on a drill to try to remove the flaking chrome.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
04 Apr 2007 23:00 #126606 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Rechrome Z-1 Classic engine covers
z1 enterprises has new ones chromed.try here www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2049

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)