Cut and weld to fix, or spend the big $$...??

More
24 Jan 2007 05:15 #107813 by indykaw77
This a result of KZ1000 vs. mailbox post....
Now, with access to exhaust tubing, good steel plate, and welder....couldnt a financially-challenged (BROKE!!) guy cut/weld/cuss/recut/weld and get this back into shape...PROPER shape, that is!
Am considering it really hard.....more time than $$ if I go this route. 3 bills for a new V&H just IS NOT in the budget......What y'all think??

Post edited by: indykaw77, at: 2007/01/24 08:16

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2007 06:02 #107820 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Cut and weld to fix, or spend the big $$...??
Being an auto mechanic, part of my job is custom pipe bending, welding and fabrication. Sure it could be done, will take some time, heat and patience. Remove pipe from bike, cut out damaged section and go to work on the bench. With some time it could be brought back. When your satisfied that it's as good as it's gonna get, hang it back on the bike and tack weld. Remove again and complete weld. After painting it will still look a little rough but you just saved $300. Good luck.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
24 Jan 2007 08:26 #107851 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Cut and weld to fix, or spend the big $$...??
WOW, how fast do you have to be going to do THAT kind of damage to a mailbox pole?

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
24 Jan 2007 08:51 #107856 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Cut and weld to fix, or spend the big $$...??
Wow. That's pretty ugly. Especially being right at the collector.
Any chance of finding an old header off of an old car and splicing in the collector? Might be easier than trying to reshape that one.
Just a thought anyway.

More
24 Jan 2007 09:17 #107857 by chetriply
Replied by chetriply on topic Cut and weld to fix, or spend the big $$...??
As a guy who's built a few custom exhaust systems, I'll tell you that it's harder than it looks. However, if it was easy, everyone would do it.
I say wade right in and give it a go. What do you have to lose?

More
24 Jan 2007 09:23 #107860 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Cut and weld to fix, or spend the big $$...??
I'm gonna say don't waste your time.

If you're not used to doing this kind of work, that will be a REAL bugger.

Why? Because it's right on the collector. You've got to rebuild an entire collector for the 4 mani's to come together in, AND worry about cutting the mani's ends to piece together.

See if you can find a collector, but something tells me a 4-1 for a KZ sized tubing is gonna be tough. :(

More
24 Jan 2007 09:52 #107864 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic Cut and weld to fix, or spend the big $$...??
Well, too bad you are not too near- I could fix that right up for you in a jiffy. You wanna mail it to me, remember I am in Alaska, I will fix it for nuttin' except shipping. But I don't know if you save your three bills or not!

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
24 Jan 2007 09:53 #107865 by fatkow
every thing 2 gain nothing 2 loss I say go for it.

More
24 Jan 2007 10:28 #107875 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic Cut and weld to fix, or spend the big $$...??
indykaw77 wrote:

This a result of KZ1000 vs. mailbox post....
Now, with access to exhaust tubing, good steel plate, and welder....couldnt a financially-challenged (BROKE!!) guy cut/weld/cuss/recut/weld and get this back into shape...PROPER shape, that is!
Am considering it really hard.....more time than $$ if I go this route. 3 bills for a new V&H just IS NOT in the budget......What y'all think??

<br><br>Post edited by: indykaw77, at: 2007/01/24 08:16

Can you e-mail me a better pic of that to wldthing67@hotmail.com please if you are considering sending it up here- I want to dig through my pile of scraps.

How would you like it stainless past the pipes,meaning, the collector to be stainless? I am welding alot of stainless right now, and have some scraps around- but it might not blend together good with the pot metal they use on some exhausts.

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
24 Jan 2007 14:19 #107920 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Cut and weld to fix, or spend the big $$...??
not to sound negitive, but when you unbolt that thing its going to move in just about every direction you dont want it to, you can take it off fab a new section , mock it up on the head , tack it together, then weld it.
I would spring for a new one, keep the old one around and look in some boneyards for a header that is trashed on the down pipes, probably get it for next to nothing , then mate the two

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
24 Jan 2007 19:08 #108003 by Duck
I see a ratty but useable Mac on ebay right now for $30 incl. shipping with a day left and no bids. FYI I bought a decent Star off ebay for about the same $ so useable stuff is out there for cheap.

HERE