exaust clamps

More
23 Jan 2007 14:26 #107710 by fdmc_99
exaust clamps was created by fdmc_99
hey , does anyone know where i can get some exaust clamps for my bike "77kz1000ltd?", i took off my exaust to clean it up a bit, and when putting the exaust back on, i BROKE 2 of the friggin clamps, is there any technuiqe for putting the damn things back on withought doing that?. thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2007 18:02 #107751 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic exaust clamps
Question please to clarify which clamps are broken -- clamps holding the exhaust pipes to the cylider head or clamps holding the mufflers to the exhaust pipes?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Jan 2007 20:33 #107788 by fdmc_99
Replied by fdmc_99 on topic exaust clamps
ooops sorry , the clamp holding the exhaust to the heads.

More
23 Jan 2007 22:33 #107802 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic exaust clamps
I bought a set from Jeff,Who's a Member here...

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1984

B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
24 Jan 2007 05:25 #107814 by Patton
Guessing you may need the "sunburst" style collars absent prior conversion to the later "plain" style.

Might consider placing a want ad in "Classifieds"

Don't know if still available through dealerships.

Am curious as to how you managed to break two of the collars during reassembly. These are fairly substantial pieces. Were they binding or improperly fitted to the pair of split keepers? Parts involved should readily fit together with no force necessary, and nuts easily started and finger tightened onto the studs.

Let us know if you need any hints toward a quick and easy reassembly without pipes, gaskets, keepers and collars all flying around. :P

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Jan 2007 08:05 #107847 by fdmc_99
Replied by fdmc_99 on topic exaust clamps
yeah i need the sunburst style collar clamps. i looked on z1enterprises, but those arent the right ones, and to HOW i broke 2...lol..i have no idea. like i said it was my first time. i got my dad to give me a hand(he's never even sat on a bike nevermind worked on one)and he was on the other side. i was tightening my side up, and right from the start i had trouble i had to tap the collar in place pretty hard just to start a nut going. and as far as i knew this wasnt a problem. and was trying to pull the collar up againt the head and it snapped. the exact thing happened with my dads side. i found a set on ebay. starting bid is 59 US, thats like a million dollars Canadian:P. it says there like new and rechromed, i dont know what there worth. thanks

More
24 Jan 2007 10:30 #107877 by Patton
Thanks for the report.

Let us know when ready for some re-assembly tips requiring only two hands. :P

BTW, $59US seems too high, and you only need two of them.

Might be mistaken, but believe the two right side collars are different from the two left side collars, because of frame tube clearances, so safer to specify the cylinder numbers involved if not acquiring a complete set of four.

Hopefully others will post more opinions on the price and availability and additional info about differences between the collars regarding fitment.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
24 Jan 2007 10:35 #107881 by ejshotgun
Replied by ejshotgun on topic exaust clamps
These should fit
Though they aren't the same as what your looking for just call or e-mail Z1 to double check. These guys are very helpful and might know where to get some if you don't like what they have.
You place the exhaust manifold up to the head and (don't forget to replace the crush gaskets) and start all the collars and finger tight all the nuts making sure that everything is even before you put a wrench on it.
BikeBandit (pricey) has the OEM (might call them before ordering).

Post edited by: ejshotgun, at: 2007/01/24 13:37

More
24 Jan 2007 14:22 #107921 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic exaust clamps
I just put a set on from z1 they look good, and look to be a lot stronger than stock

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
24 Jan 2007 15:27 #107938 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic exaust clamps
The stock collars are pretty weak. If you look at the one you broke you swill see that they are just made of pot metal. I broke many of them before I switched to the ones listed above. They are much stronger, lighter and polish up nicely. Ever try cleaning the stock collars? They never got 100% clean and then they would rust the next day. Do yourself a favor and switch to the newer style. If you take your exhaust off alot then you will thank yourself later.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.