How much pipe wrap is needed for...

More
21 Jan 2007 18:49 #107350 by Fossil
How much pipe wrap is needed for... was created by Fossil
...a 4 into 1 header? I see it's sold in 25' and 50' rolls. Does anyone know if a 25' roll do it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2007 20:19 #107370 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic How much pipe wrap is needed for...
does it come in different widths?

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
21 Jan 2007 20:38 #107373 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic How much pipe wrap is needed for...
I don't remember how much I used but I know it was more than 25'. I think I used a 50' roll and had some left over. I used the 1 1/2" wrap and about a 1/2" over lay. Remember to soak the wrap in water for an hour or so before you start. The water helps stretch the wrap and when it dries it will shrink and really hold on tightly to the pipes. Also remember to use gloves because the wrap is fiberglass and will make you itch like crazy.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
21 Jan 2007 20:59 #107379 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic How much pipe wrap is needed for...
kawtoy wrote:

The water helps stretch the wrap and when it dries it will shrink and really hold on tightly to the pipes. Also remember to use gloves because the wrap is fiberglass and will make you itch like crazy.

another reason to use water is so it keeps the fiberglass dust down so you dont need a mask

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
22 Jan 2007 10:02 #107440 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic How much pipe wrap is needed for...
Very true. It will only take a day to dry and then it can be painted with high temp paint. Don't waste your money on Header Wrap paint.. it is the same as the high temp stuff you get at AutoZone or any parts place. Also you need to wrap from the bottom up so the wraps will facing down.. if that makes any sence. Wrap a sock or something around your arm and you will see what I mean. Make sure when you tighten them down with metal zip ties that you loeave enough room for you exhuast collars. Takes a little trial and error but no big deal. Good luck and make sure to take before and after pics so we can see the difference.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.